KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime, fixed-term
Field Technical Assistance Consultant
Duty Station: Bulacan or Pampanga, Philippines
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide TB epidemic and prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
ASCENT Project Background
Historically, the most widely implemented means of supporting TB patients and ensuring adherence for their treatment is Directly Observed Treatment (DOT). With DOT, a health care worker observes (in-person) the patient’s daily ingestion of medication, either at the health facility or the patient’s home. While the DOT approach has advanced global decline in TB incidence, innovations are needed to address existing gaps, enable system efficiencies, improve patient-centered care, empower providers and patients and achieve more significant impact for all types of TB.
By taking advantage of today’s powerful communication mechanisms, the implementation of digital adherence technologies (DAT) can help to overcome health care disparities by allowing patients greater freedom to self-manage and participate in their care, reduce financial burdens and restore autonomy and dignity, and simultaneously empower providers with accurate and timely information to provide differentiated care.
Led by KNCV, ASCENT (Adherence Support Coalition to End TB) is a 3.5-year Unitaid-funded project that will implement DAT interventions in five key countries (Ethiopia, the Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, and Ukraine) to enable innovative new patient-centered, optimized TB care pathways for all types of TB and support the growing global momentum towards the use of these technologies.
Purpose of the Position and Place in the Organization
Specifically for the Philippines, KNCV is currently recruiting six (6) Field Technical Assistance Consultants to assist in on-the-ground project implementation especially during the COVID-19 pandemic where inter-regional and/or intra-regional travel may be constrained. The Field Technical Assistance Consultant is responsible for promoting the use of available DAT in the health facility s/he is assigned to and ensuring effective and efficient use of these DATs. S/he reports to the ASCENT Regional Technical Officer with technical collaboration with the ASCENT Digital Health Technical Officer and ASCENT Research Team.
Scope of Work
The Field Technical Assistance Consultant will provide technical support, capacity, and supportive supervision in the use of DAT to his/her assigned health facility for a defined period. Specifically, s/he will:
- Promote the use of DAT among the healthcare workers (HCWs) in the assigned health facility and ensure that eligible TB patients, drug-sensitive and drug-resistant TB patients, are enrolled on the DAT platform;
- Provide and ensure the proper delivery of the consenting, counseling, and DAT-enrollment processes by the HCWs, including providing needed demonstration;
- Provide support to facility HCWs in the day to day use of the ASCENT/Everwell platform, including patient monitoring, enrollment, and implementing the agreed-upon ASCENT differentiated care pathway;
- Manage technical support requests from the HCWs and at the same time render the needed capacity-building, including basic troubleshooting related to DAT use;
- Assist in the procurement and supply chain management of DAT, including recording and documentation, inventory tracking, and safekeeping thereof;
- Monitor and check the quality of DAT materials and supplies received, in coordination with the ASCENT Manila Office;
- Ensure organization and maintenance of signed and unsigned consent forms and the social harm register;
- Attend and participate regular ASCENT team meetings, orientation, and training sessions;
- Travel to the ASCENT Manila Office, when needed, and as authorized by the direct ASCENT supervisor;
- Coordinate in a timely manner with the ASCENT Regional Technical Officer, Digital Health Technical Officer, and the Research Team, when needed;
- Prepare timely and activity reports;
- Perform other duties as required.
Citizenship and Work Eligibility
- Filipino citizen and must be legally authorized to work in the Philippines.
- Relevant degree in public health or any health-related field;
- Fresh graduates are welcome to apply, as long as minimum qualifications are satisfied.
- Experience working on health-related program/s or project/s, preferably TB;
- Experience providing technology support, mentoring, coaching;
- Experience in implementing and/or use of technology solutions;
- Experience in basic procurement and supply management;
- Experience in working with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Demonstrable experience as a field officer or worker.
- A resident of Bulacan (for Bulacan Duty Station) or Pampanga (for Pampanga Duty Station) is preferred, but not required;
- Ability to communicate clearly;
- Ability to work within a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of people;
- A motivator with good listening skills;
- Focused and with a flexible approach;
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
What do we offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for six (6) months, to extend the contract subject to need, consultant’s performance, and availability of funding;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- A competitive salary;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own HR Manual.
Application and Information
Apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the link: www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies on or before 24 October 2021. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our local team in the Philippines: +639177101400.