KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Junior Researcher / Data Scientist
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), and related health problems like HIV, antimicrobial resistance and COVID-19. Tuberculosis is the deadliest infectious disease in the world after COVID-19. Being an international knowledge center, KNCV promotes effective, efficient, innovative and situation specific strategies and solutions to eliminate TB and related health problems in a national and international context.
Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as quantitative and qualitative research; programmatic prevention and management of TB and related health problems; new diagnostics, drugs and regimens; clinical management, patient support and stigma reduction; laboratory technologies and networks; education; mobile and digital health solutions and surveillance; strategic planning and advocacy; communication and project management.
For over a century KNCV worked tirelessly to improve the lives of those affected by TB, with a leading role in the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, exchanging knowledge and expertise with other countries. KNCV is a global network organization, consisting of our global office in The Hague, the Netherlands, eight branch offices and four country based KNCV entities in East, South and Central Asia and Africa. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government sources.
On the journey towards TB Elimination, in 2020 KNCV has defined nine innovation pathways and pursues the development, demonstration and scale-up of innovations as well as existing strategies that can accelerate elimination of TB and related health problems around the world. To do so, KNCV generates evidence, supports global and in-country policy making as well as strategic planning and supports the development of supportive systems.
Purpose of the position
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation aims to generate a solid evidence base for existing and new tools and interventions through research into the TB epidemic, the elimination response and specific interventions; helping countries to apply these interventions and document results of demonstration projects and scale-up. Capacity building and knowledge sharing are important elements of KNCV work.
Your work will be diverse. As Junior Researcher/Data Scientist you will support ongoing research projects, contribute to the development of new studies and support the organization’s monitoring and evaluation capacities at both the project and institutional levels.
All research, monitoring and evaluation will be conducted in close collaboration with KNCV technical leads, country offices and country based KNCV entities.
The Junior Researcher/Data scientist reports to the manager of the Technical Division, and has functional lines with the Director of the Technical Division.
Under supervision of senior colleagues, you will:
- Support various work in ongoing research;
- Contribute to the development of new studies;
- Assist the design of datasets in alignment with monitoring, evaluation, study and reporting requirements;
- Assist the development and execution of data management plans;
- Assist in data collection in different countries and settings;
- Conduct data quality review, validation and cleaning;
- Conduct systematic reviews;
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Contribute to data visualization, reports and scientific articles on the basis of the work performed;
- Contribute to knowledge sharing within and outside the KNCV network.
Your work may require occasional travel abroad.
Who are we looking for?
- Recent graduate (<2 years) of MSc or corresponding degree in Public health, Global Health, Health sciences, epidemiology, medicine, or another relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of and some experience with epidemiological, qualitative, and statistical analysis and relevant research techniques;
- Knowledge of and some experience with monitoring and evaluation frameworks and systems for public health;
- Hands-on experience in disease surveillance or study data collection is an advantage;
- Familiarity with infectious diseases, ideally tuberculosis;
- Skills in using software for data collection, data cleaning, data validation, data analysis, data visualization and interpretation;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English; working-level Dutch and other relevant language skills are an advantage (e.g. Russian).
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract dependent on funding and performance;
- Career development opportunities, dependent on performance and ambition of the candidate and availability of funding;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is the norm;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced and self-driven colleagues;
- A competitive salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 31st of October 2021. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-41672222 or mail to email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.