KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Regional Laboratory Advisor
Duty Station: Lagos, Nigeria
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, a USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
The Laboratory Advisor will work in close collaboration with States’ laboratory quality assurance officers to ensure effective and quality laboratory services in selected LGAs.
As Regional Laboratory Advisor you will:
- Provide technical assistance to the Challenge TB project in improving the laboratory systems as well as improving the use of laboratory related data for decision making.
- Support the development of TB laboratory strengthening/strategic plans within the context of national laboratory strategies.
- Provide support and technical assistance to sample transport networks and implementing mechanisms.
- Provide high quality technical assistance to improve the implementation of the GeneXpert rollout in the country, including selecting and monitoring progress in meeting indicators
- Coordinate and supervise Challenge TB supported laboratories to take initiatives to improve TB control through other TB Laboratory technologies.
- In collaboration with QA officer, LGATBLS and other relevant stakeholders, support the assessment and supervision of laboratory services in all Challenge TB supported laboratories.
- In collaboration with National Reference Laboratories ensure retrieval of all culture results and ensure documentation on patients’ records.
- Builds capacity of healthcare workers and partner organizations through training and mentorship.
- Stay up-to-date on international and local developments in the field of TB policies reviewing relevant literature.
- Liaise with State Quality Assurance Officer in facilitating the quality expansion of microscopy & GeneXpert.
- Periodically evaluate laboratory methods and procedures.
- Perform research for the purpose of testing and evaluating laboratory methods, devising new procedures and simplifying existing tests.
- Serves as a resource and technical consultant to local physicians, local clinical, and hospital laboratory personnel and health department staff for laboratory and testing issues.
- Oversee the implementation and monitoring of laboratory quality management activities.
- Provide direction and facilitate efficient work flow in all departments of the laboratory.
- Participate on behalf of KNCV in appropriate technical meetings.
- Perform other additional duties as assigned.
Who are we looking for?
- A degree in the Medical Laboratory Sciences and related fields (an MPH would be an advantage).
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in TB and/or HIV programs.
- Experience as laboratory quality assurance officer or laboratory manager.
- Experience in working with: HIV & TB program; USAID projects or any development partner.
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Strong coordination, planning, and supervisory skills, willingness to travel across the country at short notice if required.
- Competent with laboratory operational plan development, implementation and evaluation of results.
- Self-motivated with a strong ability to identify and develop relevant areas of work.
- Able to communicate complex issues in a concise, accessible and engaging manner.
What do we offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract. Depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and InformationYou can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 12th March 2018. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in Nigeria: +234 (0)9030349255 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website.