KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Senior Consultant on Infectious disease modeling/ Health Economist
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), and related health problems like HIV, antimicrobial resistance, and COVID-19. Tuberculosis is the deadliest infectious disease in the world after COVID-19. Being an international knowledge center, KNCV promotes effective, efficient, innovative and situation specific strategies and solutions to eliminate TB and related health problems in a national and international context.
Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as quantitative and qualitative research; programmatic prevention and management of TB and related health problems; new diagnostics, drugs, and regimens; clinical management, patient support and stigma reduction; laboratory technologies and networks; education; mobile and digital health solutions and surveillance; strategic planning and advocacy; communication and project management.
For over a century KNCV worked tirelessly to improve the lives of those affected by TB, with a leading role in the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, exchanging knowledge and expertise with other countries. KNCV is a global network organization, consisting of our global office in The Hague, the Netherlands, eight branch offices and four country based KNCV entities in East, South and Central Asia and Africa. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government sources.
On the journey towards TB Elimination, in 2020 KNCV has defined nine innovation pathways and pursues the development, demonstration and scale-up of innovations as well as existing strategies that can accelerate elimination of TB and related health problems around the world. To do so, KNCV generates evidence, supports global and in-country policy making as well as strategic planning and supports the development of supportive systems.
Since early 2019 KNCV has been leading the Gates Foundation Funded People-Centered Framework (PCF) Approach for TB Programming initiative in close collaboration with the WHO. The PCF approach aims to establish a model approach for future strategic TB programming worldwide. The main objective of the PCF Approach for TB programming is to assist National TB Control Programs to critically analyze their programs and utilize the resulting findings to develop people-centered, optimized, responsive, resilient, and evidence-based National Strategic Plans. This is achieved through participatory and systematic identification, consolidation, analysis, and utilization of existing evidence along the continuum of care of people with tuberculosis (TB) or at risk of developing TB.
KNCV promotes the use of impact modelling and programmatic implementation modelling to support evidence-based decision-making in prioritization and optimization of intervention design, planning and funding allocation in line with global guidance. In 2020 KNCV took over the implementation support for the TIME impact and economics models from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, while maintaining close collaboration with Avenir and LSHTM for further development and refinement of the models in line with global guidance and country needs.
KNCV is playing an active role in informing TB modelling guidance and development through participation in key consultation groups and think tanks such as the TB Modelling Advisory Consortium (TB MAC), the TB Modelling Roadmap Steering Committee, the WHO TB Impact Measurement Task Force, etc.
Purpose of the position
KNCV TB Foundation aims to generate a solid evidence base for existing and new tools and interventions, in support of development and evaluation of policies at global, national, and subnational level. This includes engagement with global and country partners on the evidence needed, designing, implementing, and publishing research, in collaboration with stakeholders as well as capacity building and sharing of knowledge.
KNCV TB Foundation also provides direct support to countries on modelling the epidemiological and economic impact of interventions in the framework of strategic planning and prioritization of interventions for disease elimination and resource mobilization. This includes capacity building on modeling of in-country institutions.
The work under this position will be diverse. It includes leading and informing projects on mathematical and economic modelling of TB and related health problems; and supporting NTPs and institutions globally in planning for, prioritizing and setting up and conducting mathematical and economic impact modeling, in a national, subnational, and international context.
The Modeler/ Health Economist will also be expected to contribute to further development of modeling tools and guidance, especially in the areas of cost-effectiveness analysis, allocative efficiency evaluation and programmatic implementation modelling.
The Modeler/ Health Economist reports to the manager of the Technical Division, and has functional lines with the Director of the Technical Division.
The Modeler/ Health Economist will carry out and support international research projects: and provide support to strategic planning/intervention modeling, cost-effectiveness analysis and evaluation of allocative efficiency.
- To conduct and lead projects on mathematical modelling of TB and related diseases, including building, testing, parameterizing, analyzing, and publishing TB modelling studies;
- To conduct and lead projects on health economics, cost–effectiveness, budget impact analysis, allocative efficiency, health economic modelling;
- Advise and support NTP and institutions globally in planning for, prioritizing/ optimizing and setting up and conducting TB research in a national and international context;
- Initiate and contribute to the development of grant proposals on modelling of TB and/ or TB economics;
- Formulate recommendations for implementation of TB elimination interventions to national TB elimination programs and other institutions or organizations on the basis of research results;
- Perform formal and on the job training to build capacity in research related to TB elimination;
- Prepare manuscripts for scientific publication in peer-reviewed journals and at scientific conferences;
- Develop and evaluate project plans for research projects in your field of expertise;
- Generate a solid evidence base for existing and new TB tools, global policies and country-level interventions required for TB elimination;
- Contribute to further development of modeling tools and guidance, especially in the areas of cost-effectiveness analysis, allocative efficiency evaluation and programmatic implementation modelling;
- Conduct and monitor health economics/ costing & cost-effectiveness research (surveys, intervention studies, evaluations of existing interventions.
The position will require travel abroad.
Who are we looking for?
- A doctoral degree in Mathematics, (bio)Statistics, Econometrics, Health Economics or another relevant discipline.
- Strong background in infectious diseases mathematical modelling and/or health economics;
- Experience of working collaboratively with cross-institutional and cross-discipline stakeholders, including academic partners and/or decision makers, an asset would be in developing countries;
- Expertise with programming in R, Python, Berkley Madonna, C++ or an equivalent language and relevant economic programs such as OneHealth, TreeAge;
- Experience in creating mathematical models to optimizing infectious disease programs;
- Proven track record of publications in international scientific journals and acquired grants;
- At least 10 years of working experience including in cross cultural settings, of which at least 5 years in modeling.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract dependent on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is the norm;
- A highly motivated team of experienced and self-driven colleagues;
- A competitive salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 24 October 2021. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Christiaan Mulder, Senior Epidemiologist (email@example.com) our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-41672222 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.