Senior Consultant PMDT (1.0 FTE)
Duty station: The Hague, The Netherlands
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
The Technical Division (TD) is responsible for delivery of quality consultancy services to projects and partners. The TD provides technical assistance to countries, generates (new) knowledge and evidence, and contributes to local and global policy development in TB control. Experiences and knowledge is shared internally and disseminated externally to partners and in forums. The TD acquires and develops new projects in close collaboration with the unit Resource Mobilization. The TD works closely with the Finance & Operations Division in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating deliverables of the various KNCV projects.
The purpose of this position is to assist countries, local partners and donors to further develop their programmatic management of drug resistant TB (PMDT) as an part of good quality TB control. The consultant will contribute to the team’s effort in introducing new drugs and regimens for LTBI and for DS and DR TB.
The PMDT consultant will engage in internal and external exchange of knowledge and experience, contributing to global developments in the field of PMDT and continuously developing the KCNV approach to drug resistant TB, in line with technological developments,
The KNCV PMDT consultant reports to the Technical Director within the KNCV Technical Division.
As PMDT Consultant you will:
- Provide regional and country level technical assistance and stimulates innovation in PMDT; importantly, he/she will contribute to the introduction of new treatments for latent TB infection (LTB) and new drugs and regimens for DS and DR-TB;
- Conduct or coordinates technical aspect of projects in his/her specific technical area, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders;
- Participate in project teams; as technical project lead the PMDT consultant is co-responsible with the grant manager for the quality of project implementation
- Advise local partners on PMDT related issues;
- Contribute to the development and formulation of KNCV approaches and positions regarding PMDT in the framework of comprehensive TB control;
- Advise KNCV staff (at KNCV The Hague, KNCV country offices and KNCV affiliated offices) on developments and innovations in PMDT;
- Encourage and support in-country operational research;
- Represent KNCV in international fora;
- Actively maintain personal in-depth knowledge of PMDT;
- Contribute to the KNCV knowledge management processes;
- Identify and contribute to the development of funding opportunities for KNCV-led projects, countries and local partners;
- Lead or contributes to technical proposal writing;
- Maintain relations with partners and institutions.
The job requires frequent travel (at least 25 % of the time).
Who are we looking for?
- Medical Doctor with a masters’ degree in public health, epidemiology or other relevant additional education or experience.
- In depth knowledge with at least 10 years of post-qualification experience in the clinical and programmatic management of TB, including at least two years working with drug resistant TB;
- Demonstrated ability to review, analyze and advise all aspects of PMDT at national and international level;
- Hands-on experience in the clinical and/or programmatic management of drug resistant TB, including introduction of new drugs and regimens, experience with DR TB care for children is an advantage
- Hands-on experience in the clinical and programmatic management of treatment for LTBI, including introduction and use of newer regimens (e.i. 3HP, 3HR, etc) is an advantage
- Up to date knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in PMDT, including epidemiology, international policy, evidence development and (MDR) TB control strategies, especially regarding shorter MDR regimens, new drugs and new diagnostics;
- Is familiar with the global support mechanisms for PMDT (GDI, rGLCs, GDF, GFATM, GLI, other);
- Experience in developing and managing projects in coordination with Ministries of Health and international partners;
- Experience in the use of surveillance data for strategy and policy development;
- Knowledge of electronic tools for (second line) TB drug management;
- Experience in writing publications;
- Experience in teaching/training and capacity building;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Oral communication in Russian is an advantage.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Have good interpersonal communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently and take initiative
- Ability to cope with demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload
- Ability to work in an international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (38 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract. Depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via https://www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies/ before 31 March 2020. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167222.