KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a full time
Senior M&E Officer
Duty Station: Addis Ababa City, Ethiopia
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation (KNCV) is one of the leading international non-profit organizations dedicated to fighting tuberculosis (TB) worldwide. We are an international center of expertise for TB control that stimulates effective, efficient, and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including medical doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses, and epidemiologists.
Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully driving back TB in the Netherlands, and subsequently by partnering in the fight against TB in over 40 countries worldwide.
We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands and additional country offices worldwide). KNCV raises funds from individual, institutional, and corporate donors.
Latent TB infection (LTBI) is the seed bed for developing TB disease and continued transmission. It is estimated that one quarter of the world’s population is latently infected with TB. WHO policy is to give at least six months of isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) to people living with HIV (PLHIV) and child contacts since 1993, yet the uptake of IPT in high burden countries remains poor. A short-course regimen of isoniazid and rifapentine weekly for three months (3HP) is now available in Ethiopia.
The IMPAACT4TB consortium is led by the Aurum Institute with core partners KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, Clinton Health Access Initiative, Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and the Global Drug Facility. KNCV is leading the implementation of IMPAACT4TB in Ethiopia. The goal of the project is to reduce TB incidence among PLHIV and child contacts <15 living in low- and middle-income countries by contributing to the sustainable scale up of 3HP preventive therapy. During implementation of 3HP in Ethiopia, IMPAACT4TB project provides technical support by making the new 3HP drug rifapentine available in the country and scale up of short course TPT with 3HP real. As part of the IMPAACT4TB project, KNCV is leading the in-country implementation of the CHIP-TB study which focuses on assessing whether integrated community-based pediatric TB/HIV prevention services are feasible, acceptable, and effective in increasing TPT uptake among child TB contacts of under 15 years in Ethiopia and south Africa. Additionally, KNCV is leading the in-country implementation of the OPT4TPT study which focuses on a programmatic assessment of TPT delivery aiming to generate important knowledge to improve TPT uptake, implementation and outcomes through an integrated work stream approach addressing patient level and clinic level aspects.
Purpose of the position and organizational position
KNCV is looking for a Senior M&E officer who will lead and provide oversight on M&E related activities of the IMPAACT4TB (including the CHIP-TB study) and the OPT4TPT project, in close coordination with the KNCV Country Representative, IMPAACT4TB Project Manager, CHIP TB and OPT4TPT study coordinators, regional technical officers, data collector at sentinel site, the National Tuberculosis Control Program, HIV/AIDS department, and the KNCV team at the global office.
The Senior M&E Officer will report directly to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager and will also maintain close communication and coordination to the KNCV M&E officer at KNCV global.
- Lead and coordinate of monitoring and evaluation related activities of IMPAACT4TB project;
- Provide M&E related support to CHIP-TB study and the OPT4TPT project;
- Configure the general project M&E Guidance Manual to ensure seamless data collection in the country while taking local conditions into account;
- Provide technical support to national programs to review and update the existing recording and reporting tools of TPT including 3HP;
- Ensure the regional teams timely collect, compile, analyses and report project related activities using standardized reporting formats;
- Support the maintenance and refinement of the REDCap data capturing system;
- Training of health care staff and data clerks on site with regards to the TPT data capture procedures and management;
- Support the data extraction of project relevant routine TB surveillance data at the target and sentinel sites;
- Facilitate the IRB submission and approvals for existing (CHIP TB and Opt4TPT) and new study projects;
- Train, supervise, and oversee collection and entry of enhanced M & E data from sentinel sites; and ensure proper capture into the REDCap database;
- Provide adequate support to the preparation of work plans/selection of indicators and annual implementation plans with a view towards meeting the M & E requirements of IMPAACT4TB;
- Support data compilation and preparation of quarterly progress reports, the annual project report, and ad-hoc technical reports as required by KNCV and/or the IMPAACT4TB consortium members, in line with the required formats;
- Perform regular supportive supervision visits to monitor the quality of data collected by the regional technical officers and to verify the accuracy of reported data;
- Support the compilation of IMPAACT4TB dissemination on lessons learned and success stories
- Ensure the data queries from the IMPAACT4TB consortium and other stakeholders are addressed in an accurate and timely manner;
- Coordinate activities with and report progress to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager in country and the KNCV Global team, on a regular basis;
- Assist the IMPAACT4TB Project country teams on decision-making on resource allocation based on the priorities and performance of the project;
- Provide technical support to the planning, implementation and monitoring of program related Operational Research (OR) activities;
- Undertake other activities as assigned by the immediate supervisor/IMPAACT4TB project manager and Country Director.
Who are we looking for?
- M&E consultant with a masters’ degree in public health, epidemiology or other relevant additional education.
Knowledge and experience:
- In depth knowledge and at least 5 years of post-qualification experience in M&E;
- Up to date knowledge of TB diagnosis and care;
- Knowledge of relevant software applications, e.g., Excel, MS Access, REDCap, DHIS2, Epi-info;
- Hands-on experience in TB surveillance or study data collection is an advantage;
- Experience with patient-based data collection and DHIS2 reporting systems;
- Experience in project/ program management, desired;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and experience in networking with partners at all levels (ministry, donors, private sector, NGOs and local community-based organizations);
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract until August 31, 2022;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues worldwide;
- The salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references via https://www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies/ before September 15, 2021. For more information, please contact our HRM Team in Ethiopia: + 251116673801. For further information on KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, please see www.kncvtbc.org.