KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Senior TB Laboratory Diagnostic Service Advisor
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
The Eliminate Tuberculosis in Ethiopia (ETBE) is a five-year USAID-funded project awarded to Management Sciences for Health and its core partner KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation. The goal of the Activity is to reduce TB incidence and mortality to achieve End TB strategy milestones and targets by increasing the quality, access, utilization, and sustainability of TB services in Ethiopia. The project will support the Government of Ethiopia to target case detection based on prevalence; introduce highly sensitive and specific diagnostic and screening tools; and boost prevention and treatment for latent TB infection. Accordingly, through ETBE the implementing partners will find and treat 484,540 new TB patients and 14,357 MDR-TB patients and achieve treatment success rates (TSRs) of at least 95% for drug-sensitive (DS)-TB and 85% for drug-resistant (DR)-TB and a LTBI treatment target of 450,000.
The GeneXpert utilization rate in Ethiopia in 2019 stood at 55%, a decline from a high of 82%, due in part to weak implementation of the national algorithm, shortage of cartridges and repeated machine failures. ETBE will support optimization of the use of existing machines; introduce new molecular tests such as Xpert Edge and Truenat; institutionalize LMIS, including GxAlert across the laboratory network; develop a laboratory maintenance system; and integrate the laboratory commodity management system into the existing NTLP drug procurement management system. ETBE will also support the NTP and regional health bureaus to orient health facilities’ clinicians and laboratory professionals in using GeneXpert as the primary TB diagnostic test.
Purpose of the position
The Senior TB Laboratory Diagnostic Service Advisor is responsible for leading the implementation of international and national TB laboratory service strategies, ensuring that new and rapid TB diagnostic technologies are rapidly taken up by the country and guiding the formulation of updated diagnostic policies and designing the roll out implementation strategies, periodically analyzing available and newly introduced rapid TB diagnostic technologies and advising on strategic solutions for optimized utilization, working in building an efficient and practical lab networking system for optimized TB diagnostics access and use.
The Senior TB Laboratory Diagnostic Service Advisor reports to the Technical Director/Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) and is a member of the Technical Team at Central Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high level technical assistance to the understanding by the national and regional team of the global dynamic and the development in TB laboratory pipeline;
- Technically advise EPHI, NTP and other TB laboratory diagnostics entities the introduction of newer rapid TB diagnostic technologies;
- Provide innovative technical assistance that paves way to marked improvement in quality TB diagnostic services by coming up with innovative solutions and strategies to existing TB lab systems problems in the country;
- Provide technical support the development/revision of national TB diagnostic policies including the periodic revision of the TB diagnostic algorithms;
- Provide technical leadership in the effective roll out of new/revised TB lab policy guidance and strategies at regional and lower levels;
- Periodically assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the existing TB lab diagnostics and the laboratory system and advise on improvement strategies;
- Provide substantial technical support in the design, implementation and roll out of robust and advanced TB lab diagnostic technologies for the elimination woredas;
- Meaningfully assist the national level Advanced and TOT trainings on newer TB lab diagnostics;
- Technically oversee the strengthening of systems for the preventive maintenance of GeneXpert machines while proactively supporting curative maintenance;
- Support the national and regional implementation of GxAlert connectivity solution to strengthen the Laboratory Information Management System (LMIS);
- Mentor and graduate GeneXpert laboratory experts at EPHI, Regional reference laboratories, who can take over the duties and responsibilities of the senior laboratory advisor;
- Support the integrated laboratory specimen transport and results feedback system strengthening by providing solid technical support to the Ethiopian Postal Services Enterprise at regional, zonal and woreda levels.
- Identifies areas for crosscutting collaboration with other implementing partners in regard to TB Molecular tests issues;
- Identifies knowledge gaps at National and Regional level and initiates and guides further capacity building;
- Ensures that up to date knowledge on TB control areas and new technologies especially in area of molecular diagnostics is accessed and shared;
- Actively shares knowledge with the national and regional reference laboratories and TB control program;
- Actively pursues new/innovative global TB diagnostics and proactively advocates, advises for their rapid adoption and scale-up.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Sc. in medical Laboratory Technology/Science and Masters degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent;
- Minimum 6 years, post-qualification experience in TB or related vertical programs laboratory Systems support at national and/or regional level;
- Sound knowledge of basic principles, techniques and safety procedures and Quality management in the laboratory system;
- Must have worked in a medical diagnostic laboratory for a period of at least five years;
- Knowledge in Laboratory Quality Control Assurance, and strong experience of instituting good lab practice;
- Experience with laboratory information systems;
- Supervisory, training, management and monitoring skills of other lab staff.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Highly innovative and willing to do continuous scanning of the global development of TB laboratory diagnostics;
- Highly energetic and motivated to make palpable changes to existing systems;
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (government, NGOs and local community based organizations);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a national and international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before 22 September 2020 via www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration