We are looking for a
Assistant Survey Coordinator for Combined TB and HIV Survey Consultancy (for a duration of 7 weeks)
Duty station: Gaborone, Botswana
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The Botswana combined TB-HIV survey is the first of its kind in the country and the world. Coordination between the key stakeholders: National AIDS Coordinating Agency (NACA), Botswana National TB Program (BNTP), Statistics Botswana and other government institutions and partner organizations has been very complex. Athough the HIV survey (BAIS) is being conducted for the 5th time, the TB prevalence survey will be conducted for the first time and there is limited in-country experience in conducting TB prevalence surveys.
Purpose of the Assistant Survey Coordinator Consultancy
The purpose of this consultancy is to support the preparation process, pilot and start of the field implementation of the combined survey. The Assistant Survey Coordinator will be based in Gaborone and housed at NACA. The Assistant Survey Coordinator will be a member of the KNCV Botswana team and reports to the Country Representative and based at NACA.
The main responsibility of the assistant coordinator is to provide technical guidance to the TB part of the combined Botswana TB prevalence survey and BAIS.
Your responsibilities are:
- Participate in meetings with the TB prevalence survey coordinator and meetings of the survey Strategic Information (SI) technical working group
- Review and assist with the finalization of the standard operating procedures to be used during the survey pilot
- Monitor the workflow and other activities of the survey pilot
- Review the data collection system and monitor the data being collected during the survey pilot
- Assist with troubleshooting activities during the survey pilot
- Conduct visits to pilot sites
- Provide recommendations to the TB prevalence survey coordinator and SI technical working group to ensure smooth running of the pilot and post-pilot activities
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the
Your education & experience
- Masters’ degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or an other relevant field
- PhD would be an advantage
- Experience in preparation and field implementation of population based TB prevalence survey conducted in other countries in the region
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in program implementation, research and surveys
- Willingness and ability to travel and participate in field activities/surveys in remote areas
- Experience and skills in training and transfer of knowledge
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of different cultural backgrounds
- Strong organizing, planning, and prioritizing skills
- Capacity to operate both as a team player in large diverse teams as well as individually
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- This is a short-term contract for a period of approximately 7 weeks spread over a period of 3-5 months
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is the norm
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues
- A competitive salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience.
Application and information
You can apply for this consultancy, by including a CV demonstrating relevant previous experience and three professional references, before Sunday, March 11 2018. Please submit your application to email@example.com. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at +267 3632061 (Botswana office). This consultancy is contingent to donor funding approval.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.