KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Consultant to estimate regional specific TB burden in Tanzania.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, diagnostic strengthening, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, and since the 1970s, we have successfully shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high-burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient-centred care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the assignment
In 2012, the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Programme (NTLP) conducted the first nationwide population-based TB prevalence survey which was done by clusters. Currently the NTLP needs to establish the regional-specific TB burden in order to gain a deeper understanding of the epidemic and to prioritize resources more efficiently. KNCV in collaboration with the NTLP, seeks a local Tanzanian technical consultant to provide technical support and to support determination of the region-specific TB burden. The consultant will work with one or more international consultants to understand the current TB situation in the country, provide recommendations on the methodology and technical inputs as well as data management and report writing together with the international consultant(s) and the local teams of the NTLP and CTB.
Purpose and objectives
To provide technical support to determine the regional TB burden in Tanzania.
- To identify the methodology of estimating the TB burden per region
- To determine the regional TB incidence
- To determine factors associated with the regional TB incidence variations.
Duties and responsibilities
- To study reports of the TB prevalence survey, TB epidemiologic assessments, TB and HIV surveillance and population census reports
- To work with the international consultant(s), NTLP and CTB in-country stakeholders to fine-tune methods to estimate regional TB burden
- To gather relevant regional level data and work with international consultant(s) to perform evaluation according to the defined methodology
- Meet with the NTLP and CTB to jointly develop a plan to monitor and evaluate trends in the regional TB burden and TB treatment outcome data
- To support performing all required data analyses and document the processes
- To organize and co facilitate during a workshop with in-country team to determine regional trends.
- A report on Regional TB burden in Tanzania
- Dissemination of the results to key MOHCDGEC official with a presentation containing simple to understand figures and charts.
- A policy brief with recommendations.
This consultancy is expected to be begin on the 1st May 2018. The duration of the consultancy will be 6-8 weeks with a maximum of 14 billable working days and all deliverables should be submitted by the 29th June 2018.
Who are we looking for?
- A senior Tanzanian epidemiologist or statistician with extensive quantitative skills
- Excellent understanding of TB epidemiology, TB policies and interventions, and Tanzania health systems
- A proven track record of producing results and communicating them well (including in scientific publications in peer reviewed journals)
- Experience in working with national TB health programs such as offering technical assistance.
Behavioral Competencies and Skills
- Sound analytical skills
- Good interpersonal communication
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
Application and information
Interested candidates should submit an expression of interest and their CV to Irene Mauya at email@example.com by 19th April 2018. Please include “CONSULTANCY TO ESTIMATE TB BURDEN IN TANZANIA” in the subject line. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or our team in Tanzania on +25522664859. More information can be found on www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies