KNCV Tuberculosis Foundations is looking for a
Coordinator Research and Evidence Generation (1fte)
Duty station: The Hague, The Netherlands
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
Purpose of the position
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation aims to generate a solid evidence base for existing and new tools and interventions through generating evidence about the TB epidemic, the control response and specific interventions; helping countries to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge. Your work will be diverse. You may conduct surveys, intervention studies, support analysis of surveillance data, carry out operational research, and provide epidemiological support to complex projects in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making.
As a Technical Coordinator, you will be leading the Evidence Team. The successful candidate should enhance and anchor the in-depth knowledge of specific technical areas and ensure the quality of work of the team. The Technical Coordinator also provides technical assistance to KNCV projects and partners. He/she monitors global developments in TB control and develops and positions institutional TB technical standpoints in international fora. He/she must be able to position the team to compete for new projects and funding opportunities.
Position in the organisation
The Technical Coordinator supervises the members of the Evidence Team. Team Evidence has as its main activities the creation, collection and dissemination of tuberculosis and methodological knowledge. The Evidence Team is part of the largest division within KNCV, the Technical Division (TD), which is responsible for delivery of quality TB-related consultancy services to all projects and partners of the organization. The Technical Coordinator reports hierarchically to the Technical Division Director. The TD also acquires and develops projects in close collaboration with the unit Resource Mobilization.
As Technical Coordinator you will:
- Closely monitor global political and technical developments as relevant to TB control
- Represent KNCV and contribute to global and international policy fora, task forces and other committees
- Participate in KNCV strategy development and position institutional TB technical viewpoints in his/her technical area, taking into account comprehensive tuberculosis control
- Develop (research) policies, (research) strategies and publications in his/her technical area
- Participate in country and project teams on technical aspects of KNCV supported (for both implementation and research) projects, including quality of deliverables
- Advise KNCV staff and coordinate projects in his/her specific technical area, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
- Provide technical assistance (global, regional and country-level) and stimulate innovation for specific TB control or/and TB research areas
Knowledge Management (internal)
- Identify knowledge gaps in the team and initiate, guide and implement the knowledge management process
- Promote and assist team members in collecting and developing “success stories”, fact sheets and other communications materials
- Identify areas for crosscutting collaboration with other teams
- Initiate and facilitate discussions, develop and provide input, on strategic positions
- Maintain personal in-depth knowledge on relevant TB research and related program areas
Resource Mobilization and relation management
- Identify new funding opportunities, develop and write proposals for funding
- Maintain relations with partners and associated institutions to identify new funding opportunities
- Share KNCV strategic viewpoints with partners and associated institutions to create support and enthusiasm for KNCV positions
People and Quality Management
- Provide leadership and accountability, and supervise and inspire team members while creating an environment where sharing, technical debate and innovation are part of the KNCV culture
- Promote qualitative and quantitative development of his/her team
- Ensure proper execution of the HRM manual and adhere to the KNCV performance cycle
- Ensure the quality of work of the sub-unit by internal and external exchange
- Manage the activities and deadlines of the team (members), including development of individual team member work plans to be updated on a regular basis
- Coordinate weekly team meetings (coordinate agenda, follow-up progress on activities)
- Coordinate Home Week activities/sessions for Evidence team (develop agenda, communicate with organizers, collect presentations)
- Coordinate with Technical Director, Operations Director and Finance Director on issues related to team members’ and their activities
As Researcher you will:
- Develop project plans with team members for epidemiological research projects – prevalence surveys, drug resistance surveys or operational research
- Write grant proposals for operational and epidemiological TB research in collaboration with other KNCV staff and external partners
- Maintain contact with national and international organizations and with various local and external organizations such as universities or medical research institutes
- Conduct epidemiological research and provide support to research projects in several countries
- Give formal and on the job training on research related to TB control.
- Advise and support government authorities and institutions abroad in setting up and conducting TB research in a national and international context
- Formulate recommendations for implementation of TB control interventions to national TB control programs and other institutions or organizations on the basis of research results
- Promote the expertise of KNCV colleagues by presenting research results and their relevance for policy making
- Publish scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted
- Give presentations at conferences and scientific meetings
Please note that you are expected to travel frequently (25%-30% of the time).
Who are we looking for?
- This position requires a PhD degree in epidemiology, health economics, statistics, health systems research or health economics.
- Team management experience with experience in coaching and capacity building
- In depth knowledge of (TB) specific technical areas and epidemiological and statistical analysis
- Proven track record with at least 10 years of experience in relevant international work in (TB) specific technical areas, including collaboration with USAID funded projects and Global Fund
- Knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in relation to TB epidemiology, global and international policy, evidence development, and control strategies
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing projects in coordination with Ministries of Health and international partners
- Experience in developing policies, strategies, (research) projects and publications
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques. Demonstrated skills in software for research data analysis and statistical programs such as STATA or SPSS or R
- Ability to work as part of an international team and independently
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English
- Experience with working in resource-poor countries
- Experience in cost-effectiveness studies and/or health economics
- Experience in pharmacovigilance
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract
- Full-time employment (consists of 38 hours per week)
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 5 April 2018. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31 (0)70 416 72 65 or email@example.com.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.