KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the job
The External Quality Assurance Technical Officer – will provide technical assistance to CTRL to organize and oversee TB Laboratory External Quality Assessment Program countrywide. The External Quality Assurance Technical Officer will also provide the reliable information that allows laboratories from all levels to assess and monitor the quality status of internal procedures and processes, suitability of the diagnostic systems, accountability and competence of the staffs.
Position in the organization
The External Quality Assurance Technical Officer reports to the Laboratory Technical Officer.
As an External Quality Assurance Technical Officer you will:
- Provide technical assistance at CTRL on TB Lab Strengthening Program, networking and external quality assurance;
- Improve performance of external quality assurance on TB microscopy/culture/DST and novel molecular diagnostics at all levels;
- In coordination with Senior TO Lab, assist in the development of TB Laboratory guidelines, SOPs, forms and other documents as necessary in line with international practices;
- Provide quarterly data for EQA smear microscopy to KNCV Office and NTLP;
- Assess whether microbiology test for TB diagnosis are carried out in accordance with TB Laboratory guidelines;
- In coordination with Senior TO Lab, CTRL Manager, staff and Quality Officer facilitate training on AFB EQA, TB Lab techniques such as microscopy/culture/DST;
- In coordination with Senior TO Lab, to establish Intermediate Reference Labs for EQA microscopy in the respective regions;
- Submit periodical progress reports and targeted supportive supervision report in accordance with KNCV-CHALLENGE TB guidelines to the KNCV Office and NTLP.
Who are we looking for?
- Medical microbiology degree, clinical microbiology or other relevant degree.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in laboratory and diagnostic microbiology;
- Preferably with good knowledge in TB diagnostic (microscopic examination, culture/Drug Susceptibility Testing and new TB diagnostic tools);
- Good knowledge in laboratory management and biosafety;
- A quality management certification is an added advantage;
- Certificate in Documenting QMS using ISO 15189 and/or Internal Auditing activities will be added advantage;
- Knowledge in Microcomputer application and other statistical software’s
- Demonstrated managerial skills;
- Basic MS–Office skills;
- Good communication skills, Fluent in Kiswahili and English (oral and written).
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before the 10th of February 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us via +255 22 2664859 or firstname.lastname@example.org with “tz1606” in the subject.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.