KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
KNCV Philippines Technical Coordinator
Duty station: Manila, Philippines
20 hours per week
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
KNCV is the lead partner in a five-year project funded by the Netherlands Ministry for Foreign Affairs (DGIS). The project’s aim is to strengthen Global Fund grants addressing TB/HIV programs in selected countries— “Making Global Fund money work”. This project is also integrated with Challenge TB, a major USAID supported project lead by KNCV and in particular with its Global Fund Hub. The DGIS project is implemented with the support of a partnership between KNCV and three Dutch NGOs; AIDS Foundation East West, HIVOS and PharmAccess International. HIVOS is KNCV’s implementing partner in the Philippines for the DGIS project.
DGIS supported activities in the Philippines are focused on the following objective of the project: “Strengthening engagement of the non-public sector to provide quality patient centered TB/HIV services”. We aim to develop a model that enables effective partnerships between (local) governments, private health care providers (PHCP) and civil society organizations.
Purpose of the position
The overall purpose of the position is to ensure and support timely implementation and technical quality of country level activities in the DGIS Philippines workplan. KNCV’s Technical Coordinator provides technical support to the implementation of the DGIS project in the Philippines and is responsible for monitoring of project implementation, in collaboration with HIVOS Philippines. S/he will work closely together with KNCV and HIVOS teams.
Position in the organization
The DGIS Philippines Technical Coordinator functionally reports to the DGIS Portfolio manager at KNCV’s headquarters in The Hague.
As Technical coordinator you will
- Establish and maintain partnership relationships with the National TB Program, the National AIDs/STD Prevention and Control Program, and other relevant organizations with regards to DGIS project design and implementation in close coordination with HIVOS
- Prepare and participate in the regular coordination meetings with KNCV HQ staff
- Facilitate development of the DGIS project’s annual work plan and budgets in close coordination with the DGIS Philippines Technical Advisor, DGIS KNCV Head Office team in The Hague, HIVOS and local stakeholders
- Regularly communicate with KNCV HQ and partners on the operational progress, achievements and challenges
- Identify bottlenecks and propose solutions in collaboration with project partner Hivos and local stakeholders
- Prepare/collate various background documents/information relevant to the project
- Participate in relevant national and/or provincial/ City partners’ meetings as required
Technical area, in collaboration with Hivos
- Together with HIVOS, contributes to the finalization of the DGIS country protocol in line with the approved workplan; and updates the protocol yearly in line with annual workplans
- Providing technical input to the M&E of the project; ensuring clarity in indicator definitions, baseline accomplishments and targets, and ensuring timely monitoring, feedback to implementers, proper data recording, data collection, validation, and reporting
- Conducts ad hoc visits to facilities, ensuring proper project implementation according to protocol and timelines
- Initiates and facilitates technical discussions with the NTP, HIV program and relevant partners on matters related to the project
- Ensures the dissemination of results of project evaluations to KNCV-HQ, the NTP, the HIV program, and partners
- Provides technical assistance, proposes and stimulates innovation in project implementation and management, as well as to KNCV
- Explore funding opportunities at the national and regional level; develop concept notes and draft budgets for potential donors
- Represent KNCV at the national and regional level where opportune
Who are we looking for?
- A master’s degree in a health-related field with qualifications in public health or a related discipline
- A medical background is desirable
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in a (middle) management position in an International Organization
- At least five years of experience and in-depth knowledge of TB/HIV control and prevention at a national/regional level with particular experience and knowledge of engaging with the non-public and private health care providers. Specific experience in the Philippines is an asset.
- Knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in relation to TB epidemiology, global and
- international policy development, evidence generation, and control strategies
- Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation, collecting and analyzing data
- Experience in the development of policies, strategies, advocacy and publications
- Experience working with communities of diverse cultural practices and in complex work environments
- Experience in capacity development and experience working in a co-located environment in close collaboration with local partners, stakeholders and with ministries alongside government counterparts desired.
- Able to maintain good working relationships with government authorities, officials, donors, host government, Ministries of Health and other participating institutions
- Experience with proposal writing and fund raising
- Experience with (international) donor funded projects like USAID and Global Fund is an asset
- A strong technical team leader who is results-oriented and can motivate partners and staff
- A strategic thinker
- Good analytical skills
- Able to prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability to various work environments
- Good political and communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English; knowledge of Filipino and Philippine’s regional languages is an important advantage
- Demonstrated well developed computer skills
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 6 December 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or mail to email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.