KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
The position of ACF Laboratory Technician aims at mainly performing Xpert MTB/RIF tests and any other laboratory related activities in support of mobile teams involved in the scale up of active TB case finding.
The Laboratory Technician reports to the ACF Team Coordinator.
Duties and responsibilities
In the position of Laboratory Technician you will:
- Perform laboratory tests such as Xpert MTB/RIF assay and other project related tests as required;
- Adhere to the administrative and technical procedures in the laboratory;
- Record the receipt and results of all laboratory specimens and to ensure timely delivery of results to the clients;
- Assist in developing and maintaining standard operating procedures;
- Provide advisory services to mobile teams with regard to required types of sample, sample collection & handling, sample acceptance criteria as well as interpretation of the results;
- Maintain GeneXpert System as according to the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Maintain sufficient supply of Xpert MTB/RIF cartridges at all times;
- Participate in proficiency testing as provided by the Central TB Reference Laboratory (CTRL) or any other providers;
- Maintain the laboratory in a clean and operable condition;
- Strictly follow health and safety procedures;
- Identify gaps and implement improvements to the services rendered;
- Monitor the performance of the laboratory by use of quality indicators;
- Provide monthly/quarterly and annual reports in the prescribed formats;
- Participate in quarterly review meetings;
- Communicate with, and seek advice on laboratory matters from the Advisor, Diagnostic Network;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Who are we looking for?
- Minimum Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences or Biomedical Technology from a recognized academic institution.
- Experience working with USAID, and/or other donor funded projects, will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 5 years previous work experience on TB diagnostic services is preferred;
- Practical knowledge on laboratory quality management system;
- Strong command of written and spoken English;
- Good computer literacy.
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Strong team orientation;
- Reliable and able to work under pressure, good organizational skills and results oriented.
Duration of the contract
6 months with possible extension, depending on funding and performance.
Application and information
You can apply for this position using the application form below before the 4th of January 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com. Please note that due to our regulations internal candidates prevail over external candidates.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.