KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The project focusses on four major areas:
- Technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP)
- TA to two Regions
- TA to three urban areas
- Tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. The main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff provides both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position is to serve as a MDR-TB clinician to the CTB Ethiopia in supporting the ALERT MDR-TB unit in strengthening the quality and clinical care and provide hands-on care DR-TB patients who are getting their clinical care and management from the facility.
ALERT Hospital will be strengthened and supported to be a center of excellence in TB, TB/HIV and DR- TB and the candidates will have a role in strengthening the center as center of excellence and providing and participating in advanced training on TB, TB/HIV and DR-TB. S/he will also support the implementation of the new drug regimen, short course regimen and other new development to improve the MDR, Pre/XDR TB patient’s treatment outcome.
In this function s/he is based at ALERT hospital in Addis Ababa, coordinates and works closely with the hospital management and staff, Challenge TB Ethiopia office, National TB program, Treatment initiation centers, USAID and other stakeholders and partners to successfully improve and support the care and management of DR-TB patients.
MDR-TB clinician/internist you will:
- Provide hand on care to DR-TB patients at ALERT MDR TB department
- Improve the clinical and quality of care for DR-TB hospital patients
- Lead and participate in regular treatment follow up centers mentoring and supervision
- Lead the cohort analysis and CAM to improve clinical and quality of care for DR-TB patients
- Provide guidance and TA to increase the case detection of DR-TB
- Identify DR-TB related challenges and address them through cooperation with appropriate stakeholders and partners
- Support NTP and CTB Ethiopia related to building national and regional capacity in DR-TB management (including pre/XDR-TB)
- Provide technical advice and expertise on new drug regiment and short regimen implementation
- Support NTP and CTB Ethiopia in making ALERT as one of the Center of Excellence for PMDT: ensure access new anti TB drug and SLD DST in collaboration with the senior challenge TB PMDT and Laboratory technical advisor
- Maintain personal in-depth knowledge on TB, DR-TB and TB/HIV and new technologies and Provide technical advice
Who we are looking for?
- MD plus certificate in internal medicine
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 2 years post-graduation experience in MDR TB clinical care
- High oral and written English communication skills
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Previous experience in USAID project is preferred
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal communication
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload
- Team player
- Sound analytical skills
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract depending on availability of fund and performance
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme
- Full-time employment consists of 40 hours per week
Application and information
You can apply for this position, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 22 January 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.