We are looking for a
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
40 hours per week
Duty station: Gaborone, Botswana
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations. The overarching strategic objectives of CTB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer is a member of the KNCV Botswana team and reports to the Country Representative.
Purpose of the position
The main responsibility of the M&E Officer is to provide high-level technical support and facilitate building capacity of the Botswana National TB Program (BNTP) in monitoring and evaluation. He/she will assist with the collection and utilization of TB care and prevention, TB/HIV and Drug-resistant TB (DR-TB)-related data for effective, efficient, integrated data systems and harmonized health planning, monitoring, and evaluation to meet the national health goals and objectives. The M&E Officer will be based in Gaborone at the BNTP.
Your responsibilities are:
- Provide in-country technical leadership and strategic support to the BNTP in optimizing the M&E systems for monitoring and evaluation and use of surveillance data of TB care and prevention, TB/HIV and DR-TB
- Support the integration of data systems as part of the Data Warehouse initiative of the Ministry of Health, especially the GxAlert, OpenMRS and DHIS2 systems
- Participate actively in the national M&E technical working group meetings and ensure that up to date knowledge on TB M&E areas including new technologies is shared
- Contribute to the enhancement of a strong surveillance system which builds evidence for policy and impact
- Develop guidelines and tools, such as SOPs for M&E at all levels
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection from the 5 MDR-TB treatment initiation sites
- Coordinate the preparation of CTB quarterly progress reports, annual project reports, and ad-hoc technical reports for both USAID mission/PEPFAR, in line with the required formats; ensure their timely distribution to stakeholders
- Support the preparation of progress reports for Global Fund and other partners in line with the required formats
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor
Your education & experience
- Masters’ degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or other relevant field OR
- M&E professional with a public health or social sciences qualification and documented experience in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or M&E
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in M&E
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently and participate in field activities/surveys in remote areas
- Experience in writing project reports and management plans
- Excellent knowledge and use of data management systems
- Experience and skills in training and transfer of knowledge
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Experience in M&E for USAID- or PEPFAR-funded projects is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to apply problem-solving skills to ongoing challenges
- Strong organizing, planning, and prioritizing skills
- Capacity to operate both as a team player in large diverse teams as well as individually
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time fixed-term contract for one year, with the intention to extend the contract, dependent upon funding and performance
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is the norm
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues
- A competitive salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme
Application and information
You can apply for this position, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 12 September 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-41672222 or +267 3632061 (Botswana office) or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is only open to local (Botswana) applicants
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.