KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Duty Station: Lilongwe, Malawi
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high-burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centred care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms. KNCV is the lead partner and sole implementer of the Challenge TB project in Malawi.
Purpose of the position
In the position of programmatic management of drug-resistant TB (PMDT) advisor you are responsible for supporting the National TB Program in strengthening the PMDT program at the country level to improve the diagnosis and management of MDR-TB and Pre-XDR/XDR-TB. You will also advise on the introduction and implementation of the new drug regimen, shorter MDR regimen, the a DSM system, integrated pharmacovigilance and other new developments to improve the MDR, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB patients’ treatment outcome. You provide support to the NTP and CTB to help establish a well-coordinated PMDT program through ambulatory care throughout the country, with established reporting and recording tools, and standard operating procedures.
Duties and responsibilities
In the position of PMDT you will:
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen PMDT through the provision of ambulatory care with effective monthly clinical monitoring to increase positive patient outcomes;
- Help improve the early detection of presumptive DR cases through rapid diagnosis, triage, early treatment initiation and patient monitoring, working with the NTP in implementation of an active surveillance system;
- Provide technical advice on the introduction and implementation of the new drug regimen, shorter MDR-TB regimen and other new developments to improve the MDR-TB, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB patients’ treatment outcomes;
- Assist the NTP in improving the quality of patient record keeping, effective documentation in reporting and recording tools that include treatment registers and patient files;
- Support establishment of an efficient monthly patient monitoring, including monthly clinical visits, with monitoring of all required baseline and follow-up investigations; work closely with the M&E Advisor;
- Support the NTP to provide knowledge among health care workers on the management of adverse reactions;
- Work with the PSM Technical Advisor to establish an active Drug Safety Monitoring & Management system (aDSM) and ensure there is integrated pharmacovigilance;
- Coordinate and monitor implementation of all CTB Malawi PMDT activities;
- Identify PMDT programmatic challenges with NTP and address them through cooperation with local and international partners;
- Actively maintain personal in-depth knowledge in PMDT;
- Demonstrate strong technical leadership through active participation in NTP related Technical Working Group.
The job requires frequent local travel.
Who are we looking for?
- MD plus certificate in internal medicine or MPH or equivalent.
- In depth knowledge and at least 3 years of post-qualification experience inPMDT;
- Hands-on experience in the clinical management of drug resistant TB is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to review, analyze and advise all aspects of PMDT at national and regional level;
- Up to date knowledge of WHO and national policies on all aspects of the management of drug resistant TB;
- Up to date knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in PMDT, like epidemiology, international policy, evidence development and (MDR) TB control strategies, especially regarding shorter MDR-TB regimens, new drugs and new diagnostics;
- Experience in teaching/training and capacity building;
- Knowledge and experience working with international donors, preferably with USAID.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Sound analytical skills;
- Good interpersonal communication;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract dependent on performance and availability of funding;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 2 November 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.