KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Position in the organization
The PSM Technical Advisor will report to the Manager NTP but participate in all periodical CTB team meetings.
Purpose of the position
The PSM Technical Advisor provides high quality technical support to the NTP for the development of a procurement and supply chain management (PSM) strategic plan. In collaboration with the NTP, HTSS, HIV and other relevant departments, supports the development and implementation of a capacity building plan for health facilities at all levels, from National, Zonal to District, for better pharmaceutical management. He/she supports the NTP in developing an efficient stock monitoring system, including drugs, lab supplies and GeneXpert cartridges. He/she provides daily support to the NTP on the management of all PSM issues. He/she will report to the NTP Manager, and will work in close coordination with Challenge TB team (attend periodic meetings of Challenge TB).
Specifically the incumbent is expected to perform the following:
- Quantify 1st line, 2nd line anti-TB drugs and laboratory consumables for 2017, which requires collecting real time treatment data, people enrolled on the treatment, updating the national treatment protocols and monitoring of expiry dates of current stocks through conducting physical inventories. Calculation of drug requirements using QUANT TB and comparing with GDF worksheet results to ascertain the exact quantities of drugs to order form part of expected deliverables.
- Mentoring NTP Pharmacist in international procurement of drugs and health products. This will involve technically assisting NTP pharmacist in responding mails from suppliers, global fund PPM and other stakeholders. The procurement function will also involve specification development, preparation of Scope of Works for warehouse renovation and review of equipment specification with support from technical specialists.
- Conducting region-wise peer review meeting of Pharmacy Technicians and district Drug Storekeepers to identify distribution and inventory management challenges at peripheral levels of health institutions. This will require coordination with regional medical stores, HTSS MOH, preparation of SCM presentation slides, preparing drug calculation worksheets etc.
- Receive, prepare custom clearance documents, and track the status of current procurement orders, and stocks on pipelines. This requires knowledge on drug registration status, drug donation guidelines and drug safety especially for the 2nd line drugs.
- Provide high quality technical inputs in Drug Management Technical Working Group (TWG) formed under HTSS, MOH. This will involve redefining stock-outs, selecting products for inclusion in e-LMIS, selecting suitable interface.
- Plan and complete Q3 onward Global Fund NFM PSM activities (supply chain training, stock monitoring at all levels) as listed in the annual work plan of NTP.
- Assist national e-LMIS team at MOH to create a separate platform within the existing mechanism for monitoring anti-TB drugs and commodities. This requires thorough knowledge of different e-LMIS parameters such as max-min stock, physical inventories, stock outs, etc.
- Liaising with Pharmacy Medicine and Poison Board (PMPB) of Malawi to initiate anti-TB drug quality assurance activities including support to develop sampling protocols, identifying WHO pre-qualified laboratories for quality testing and establishing at least 1 Pharmacovigilance center at central hospital in Lilongwe.
Who are we looking for?
- A Master’s Degree in Pharmacy, and/or a degree in Logistics Management and Procurement.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in supply chain management, especially in distribution of health or related commodities from National or Zonal or district level to points of distribution;
- At least three years of experience of working in developing countries, including at least one long-term assignment that included work related to TB care and control;
- Experience in public health programs, including specifically experience in designing and implementing supply chain systems in resource-limited settings, and a proven track record of impact/success;
- High level of proficiency with Logistics software such as QUANT TB, etc.
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities and environment;
- Flexible and a team player;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
The applicant needs to be able to relocate to Lilongwe, Malawi within the shortest time possible.
Duration of the contract
12 months with the possibility for extension.
Application and information
Your application (with curriculum vitae, motivation letter, 3 professional references) should be sent in by using application form underneath and sent in before 22nd May 2016 24:00 CET.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, PO Box 146, 2501 CC The Hague, the Netherlands. E-mail: email@example.com with subject “MW1602” PSM Technical Advisor-Malawi”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
For more information please contact us: phone +31(0)70-416 72 22. For further information on KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, please see www.kncvtbc.org.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.