We are looking for a
40 hours per week
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully
controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, regional offices in Central Asia and East Africa and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The KNCV Kenya office where the position will be based, is a regional office that manages the CTB project in the East Africa region.
Purpose of the position
Challenge TB Receptionist/Administrative Assistant
The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant will be based in Nairobi at the KNCV East Africa regional office. She/he will perform front office functions which include but not limited to welcoming guests to the office, managing the telephone switch board, receiving mails, messages and parcels on behalf of the organization and staff, operating a variety of standard office equipment, assisting staff on how to use the equipment and maintaining the general order and cleanliness of the office. She/he will also be responsible for receiving, storage and distribution of supplies in the office and maintaining an inventory of the supplies. The person will also be a custodian of petty cash, write minutes during staff meetings and procurement committee meetings. She/he will also in consultation with Administration and Finance Officer make travel arrangement for staff.
As Receptionist/Administrative Assistant you will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Professionally welcoming visitors, determining nature and purpose of visit and directing or escorting them to specific destinations or directing them to the appropriate staff.
- Maintaining a log of official visitors by ensuring the visitor book is available and is kept up to date at all times.
- Ensuring that the office is clean, chairs, desks and cabinets are dusted tidy and usable at all times.
- Operating the switchboard to answer, screen and forward calls, providing information, taking messages and scheduling appointments.
- Maintaining the switchboard and ensuring telephone lines are working at all times.
- Responding to enquiries according to agreed service standard.
Mails, messages and parcels
- Receiving all organization-related mails and parcels that are hand delivered and forwarding them for action.
- Dispatching mails and parcels that are to be collected from our premises.
- Maintaining a receiving register and delivery book for all incoming and out-going mails and parcels respectively.
Front office equipment
- Operating a variety of standard office equipment’s comprising of a desktop computer, fax, shredding machine, scanner and photocopy machine.
- Ensuring the front office equipment is in functional state at all times.
- Assisting staff members in utilizing some of the office equipment.
- Keep track of staff members who are out of the office in case there is need to communicate with them during that period.
- Taking concise messages, telephone or otherwise, for staff that are not accessible.
Receiving, storage and distribution of goods
- Verifying orders and deliveries.
- Maintaining updated and adequate store records, with information on receipts and issues / disposal.
- Maintaining an inventory of non-expendable property (defined as any item with a service life time of at least one year) and minor office items, with adequate details contained there-in.
- Receiving and forwarding invoices for processing.
- Recording and storage of deliberations of procurement committees.
- Ensuring safe custody of procurement related documents, including accountable documents such as LPOs.
- Be the custodian of petty cash.
- Writing minutes during staff meetings in the office.
- Assisting the Administration and Finance Officer in making staff travel arrangements, including liaising with travel agent for flight bookings and airport transfers.
Who are we looking for?
- Diploma in Business Administration/Management, Secretarial studies or any related field from a recognized institution. Additional training in customer care will be an advantage.
- Demonstrates good understanding of front office management, and coordination of internal and external customers.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills and possess the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to create good rapport with guests and be extremely courteous and friendly at all times.
- Must be confident, eloquent and able to multi-task with good communication and public relations.
- Computer skills including the use of MS Office.
- 2 years’ experience in a busy working environment in a similar role.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a health organization.
- Good time management skills.
- High degree of integrity and honesty.
What does the KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A 40 hours a week fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 12th August 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the KNCV Kenya office in Nairobi: Tel: +254 729016474 or email@example.com.
KNCV TB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.