KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Regional Laboratory (GeneXpert) Officer, Amhara
Duty station: Bahr Dar (Amhara)
Information and application via www.kncvtbc.org
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a regional and international context.
The Eliminate Tuberculosis from Ethiopia (ETBE) is a five-year USAID-funded project awarded to Management Sciences for Health (MSH) and its core partner KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation. The goal of the project is to reduce TB incidence and mortality to achieve End TB strategy milestones and targets by increasing the quality, access, utilization, and sustainability of TB services in Ethiopia. The project will support the Government of Ethiopia to target case detection based on prevalence; introduce highly sensitive and specific diagnostic and screening tools; and boost prevention and treatment for latent TB infection. Accordingly, through ETBE the implementing partners will find and treat 484,540 new TB patients and 14,357 MDR-TB patients and achieve treatment success rates (TSRs) of at least 95% for drug-sensitive (DS)-TB and 85% for drug-resistant (DR)-TB and an LTBI treatment target of 450,000.
The GeneXpert utilization rate in Ethiopia in 2019 stood at 55%, a decline from a high of 82%, due in part to weak implementation of the national algorithm, shortage of cartridges and repeated machine failures. ETBE will support optimization of the use of existing machines; introduce new molecular tests such as Xpert Edge and Truenat; institutionalize LMIS, including GxAlert across the laboratory network; develop a laboratory maintenance system; and integrate the laboratory commodity management system into the existing NTLP drug procurement management system. ETBE will also support the NTP and regional health bureaus to orient health facilities’ clinicians and laboratory professionals in using GeneXpert as the primary TB diagnostic test.
Purpose of the position
The Regional Laboratory (GeneXpert) Officer is responsible for supporting the regional GeneXpert implementation and supporting the project’s intensive-support sites in the region in ensuring maximum GeneXpert utilization and that results from GeneXpert tests are properly relayed and utilized regionally by using GxAlert.
The Regional Laboratory (GeneXpert) Officer reports functionally to the regional manager and hierarchically to the Technical Director / Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). The regional Laboratory (GeneXpert) Officer is part of the regional team.
Duties and responsibilities
The regional Laboratory (GeneXpert) Officer will:
• Support the coordination of regional GeneXpert and newer molecular tests implementation:
• Assist the regional level Advanced and TOT trainings on GeneXpert MTB/RIF Assay,
• Technically oversee strengthening of case-based management of curative maintenance and replacement of modules
• Technically oversee the strengthening of systems for the preventive maintenance of GeneXpert machines.
• Oversee the monitoring of annual calibration schedule and facilitate the health facility level GeneXpert machines calibration
• Support GeneXpert panel test (PT) preparation, distribution, feedback collection, result analysis.
• Support new GeneXpert sites training for laboratory professionals and orient clinicians on GeneXpert.
• Support the regional (Amhara, SNNPR) implementation of GxAlert connectivity solution to strengthen the Laboratory Information Management System (LMIS):
• Monitoring the weekly active and inactive sites identification and contacting the inactive sites for connection or technical support.
• Provide Technical support in supportive supervision and review meeting
• Strengthen RHBs’ capacity in equipment maintenance by training biomedical engineers and providing maintenance equipment as needed
• Mentor and graduate GeneXpert laboratory experts at Regional reference laboratories who can take over the duties and responsibilities of the Regional laboratory advisor
• Support the integrated laboratory specimen transport and results feedback system strengthening.
• Provide training and onsite mentorship to health facilities for SLMTA/ENAO accreditation for GeneXpert sites
• Identifies knowledge gaps at Regional, Zonal and district level and initiates and guides further capacity building
• Actively shares knowledge with the regional reference laboratories and TB control program
Who are we looking for
• B.Sc. in medical Laboratory Technology/Science and Master degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent.
• Minimum 5 years, post qualification experience including experience on working in regional TB Laboratory Capacity building, regional or sub-regional TB Program laboratory System support at regional and sub-regional level;
• Experience in GeneXpert MTB/RIF rollout and coordination, GxAlert connectivity solution for GeneXpert information management, Specimen Referral system and network development.
• Sound knowledge of basic principles, techniques and safety procedures and Quality management in the laboratory system;
• Knowledge of GeneXpert equipment and its maintenance is desirable;
• Must have worked in a medical diagnostic laboratory for a period of at least seven years, specifically in Gene Xpert networking, maintenance and sample transportation;
• Knowledge in Laboratory Quality Control Assurance, and strong experience of instituting good lab practice;
• Experience with laboratory information systems;
• Supervisory, training, management and monitoring skills of other lab staff.
Behavioral competencies and skills
• Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (government, NGOs and local community based organizations);
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
• Country national preferable, conversant in the local language;
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
• Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
• A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
• An informal work atmosphere in an interregional environment where initiative is appreciated;
• A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
• The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
• KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before August 7th, 2020 via www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.