KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Regional MDR TB Advisor,
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, B/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms. The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of CTB project (to be significantly expanded in 2016). As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The project focusses specifically on four major areas: 1) technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP); 2) TA to two Regions; 3) TA to three urban areas, and 4) tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project will be expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. It is expected that at the main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff will provide both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA.
Purpose of the position
The MDR TB Clinical Advisor is the senior clinical expert who will provide technical support to the RHB, zonal health departments, and MDR TB Treatment Centers. S/he will also represent Challenge TB in regional MDR TB technical working group meetings. S/he will conduct supportive supervision and provides Continuing Medical Education(CME) for health workers from health institutions supported by the Challenge TB project. S/he will also participate in preparation of work plans, supportive supervisions, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
Position in the organization
The regional MDR TB Technical advisor reports to regional technical coordinator urban and closely works with other regional team.
- Serve as a resource person for the urban regional team in matters pertaining to clinical and programmatic management of MDR TB using the nationally approved clinic-based ambulatory model of care
- Support RHBs, zonal health departments and treatment centers in the implementation of innovative MDR TB case finding strategies including screening close contacts of index cases
- Ensure adequate clinical and laboratory monitoring of MDR TB patients by coordinating regular clinic appointment days (including MDR TB days) through regular in-person and distance based communication with site clinical team and zonal cluster coordinators
- Coordinate with the GF fund support team to ensure MDR TB catchment area meetings are conducted regularly and patients received nutritional support as per the national standards
- Work with the other regional advisors and the regional government counterparts to ensure consistent high quality service provision appropriate to the specific tier of services as well as referrals and linkages between each tier, and between the facility/ community.
- Support the regional team in identifying specific barriers to MDR TB case management including factors contributing to poor adherence to treatment and to clinic appointments
- Coordinate MDR TB CME activities and cohort review meetings, prepare clinical case studies, present and actively contribute to the discussions
- Together with the regional M&E team analyze monitoring and evaluation data and track project indicators as the basis for measuring performance and proposing improvements.
- Participate in the preparation of regional work plans and budgets
- Perform other activities as assigned by the supervisor
Who are we looking for
- MD and additional postgraduate qualification in public health or clinical medicine is desired
- Minimum of 5 years relevant workexperience, including prior experience with MDR TB clinical mentoring
- Hands-on experience in coordinating MDR-TB trainings required
- Previous experience with USAID or other USG funded projects is required
- Operational research experience is a plus
- Computer literacy; competency with Microsoft Office, internet and email systems.
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Willingness to travel frequently (how much?)
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good interpersonal communication.
- Ability to cope with stress, organizational skillsTeamplayerExcellent communication, and interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership, and the ability to work collaboratively with culturally diverse partners.
- Sound analytical skills
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 30 October 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.