KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Research Coordinator for a short term assignment for the TB REACH Treatment Adherence Project in Tanzania
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization based in The Hague, The Netherlands dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
KNCV incorporates innovative digital adherence interventions in the Tanzania financed by a grant from Stop TB Partnership’s funding mechanism, TB REACH. The grants reflect the growing global push towards the use of digital health technologies to enhance treatment outcomes. The interventions implemented involve improving TB treatment adherence and outcomes using a variety of digital health monitoring technologies for TB patients. The project aims to demonstrate the use of 99DOTS, a low-cost digital adherence technology (DAT) solution combining innovative medication packaging and adherence logging via mobile phone. The objective is to evaluate the 99DOTS platform as a viable tool for improving TB treatment outcomes and to address the global evidence gap for the utility of DATs.
Purpose of the Assignment
KNCV aims to generate a solid evidence base for the above described new tools and interventions as they are implemented in test sites; assisting the stakeholders in the Tanzania to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge and experience. The operational research at the core of this assignment has two objectives: (1) determine the positive predictive power of 99DOTS to determine medication adherence; and (2) assess the acceptability of 99DOTS to patients and providers and assess the feasibility with which they are able to access & interact with the system. Your work will be diverse. You may conduct surveys, intervention studies, support analysis of surveillance data, carry out operational research, and provide epidemiological support to complex studies as part of the TB REACH project in the Tanzania in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making.
Activities within the Assignment
- Develop project plan for implementation of the research protocol;
- Get familiarized with the materials and tools of both the overall intervention (99DOTS technology) and operational research tools (IsoScreen assay);
- Based on the approved research protocol and guidance from KNCV, train fieldworkers/data collectors on urinalysis applicable urine testing & interview protocols, appropriate consenting, and stigma & gender sensitivity issues;
- Organize and support data collection;
- Validate data received from studies;
- Conduct statistical analyses; and collaborate with KNCV research team;
- Participate in scheduled results dissemination activities;
- Contribute to reports and scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted.
The Researcher Coordinator reports to the KNCV Tanzania Country Representative.
Timeframe: Short term assignment from August – December 2019 (5 months) with the opportunity to extend based on performance and project continuation.
Geita, Tanzania. The consultant can work from home, but has to coordinate on activities performed under this assignment on set times by the Country Representative. Your work will require close coordination with the Technical Officer of this project, and collaboration with the NTP and participating private clinics. The work will entail travels within Geita and surrounding locations.
Who are we looking for?
- MSc or corresponding degree in epidemiology, health economics, statistics, medicine, pharmacy, or in international health
- Knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis;
- Knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques;
- Skills in applying statistical software for data validation and data analysis;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English, and oral skills in Tagalog;
Application and information
Your application (including your curriculum vitae, a motivation letter, proof of prior experience, and 3 professional references and proposed fee) can be sent to Jense van der Wal (email@example.com) before Saturday 27th July 2019.
Please include “Research Coordinator for TB REACH Treatment Adherence Project in Tanzania” in the subject line and please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.