KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime project staff:
Research Coordinator for the ASCENT project
Duty Station: Manila, the Philippines
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative, and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses, and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide TB epidemic and prevent further transmission of drug-resistant TB.
ASCENT Project background
The Unitaid-funded ASCENT (Adherence Support Coalition to End TB) project helps patients successfully complete their treatment course through the use of digital adherence technologies and data-driven support interventions, utilizing tools such as smart pill boxes and other innovations. These digital adherence technologies empower patients to take their daily medication at a time and place that suit them best. Additionally, these technologies provide real-time information to the TB doctor or nurse that helps determine the most appropriate treatment approach for each individual patient, enabling focused efforts on those patients who require extra support. At the moment, these technologies are only used on a small scale in the international fight against TB. The ASCENT project aims to make them accessible to all TB patients worldwide. The ASCENT project (July 2019 – December 2022) will build on existing evidence, innovations in adherence technology, and the growing global momentum to implement integrated digital adherence technology interventions in five key countries (Ethiopia, the Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, and Ukraine) for all types of TB (DS-TB, DR-TB, LTBI). Comprised of four key outputs, the ASCENT project will operationalize a digital adherence technology intervention in diverse geographic, cultural, and infrastructural settings.
Purpose of the position
KNCV aims to generate a solid evidence base for the above described new tools and interventions as they are implemented, assist the stakeholders in the country to apply these tools, and facilitate the sharing of knowledge and experience. As Research Coordinator, your work will be diverse. You will conduct surveys, patient and health provider interviews; perform data analysis; carry out operational research; and provide epidemiological support to complex studies as part of the ASCENT project in order to build evidence for decision-making.
Place in the organization
The Research Coordinator reports to the ASCENT Project Manager.
As Research Coordinator you will:
- Adapt ASCENT research protocol to country context, including coordinating necessary ethical approvals;
- Develop project plan for the implementation of the research protocol;
- Get familiarized with the digital adherence technologies and operational research tools;
- Based on the approved research protocol and guidance from the ASCENT Project Team in the Netherlands, train other research assistants, fieldworkers or data collectors on interview protocols, appropriate consenting, and stigma and gender sensitivity issues;
- Organize and support data collection;
- Coordinate the work of the ASCENT research assistants, fieldworkers or data collectors;
- Validate data received from studies;
- Conduct statistical analyses, and collaborate with ASCENT research team;
- Participate in scheduled results dissemination activities;
- Contribute to reports and scientific articles based on the research conducted.
Who are we looking for?
- Masters’ or corresponding degree in epidemiology, health economics, statistics, medicine, pharmacy, or international health;
- Knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis;
- Knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques;
- Skills in applying statistical software for data validation and data analysis;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English; and
- Good command of the Pilipino/Tagalog language.
What do we offer?
- A full-time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- The salary is based on education and relevant work experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own HR Manual.
Application and information
Apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references before 26 January 2020.
Please note that we only consider applications received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.