KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime project staff:
Research Officer for the ASCENT project
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
ASCENT Project Background:
The Unitaid-funded ASCENT (Adherence Support Coalition to End TB) helps patients successfully complete their course of treatment through the use of digital adherence technologies and data-driven support interventions, utilizing tools such as smart pill boxes and other innovations. These digital adherence technologies empower patients to take their daily medication at a time and place that suits them best. Additionally, they provide real-time information to the TB doctor or nurse, helping to determine the most appropriate treatment approach for each individual patient and by enabling focused efforts on those patients that require extra support. At this moment, these technologies are only used on a small scale in the international fight against TB. The ASCENT project aims to make them accessible to all TB patients worldwide. The ASCENT project (July 2019 – Dec 2022) will build on existing evidence, innovations in adherence technology and growing global momentum to implement integrated digital adherence technology interventions in five key countries (Ethiopia, the Philippines, South Africa, Tanzania, and Ukraine) for all types of TB (DS-TB, DR-TB, LTBI). Comprised of four key outputs, the ASCENT project will operationalize a digital adherence technology intervention in diverse geographic, cultural, and infrastructural settings.
Purpose of the position
KNCV aims to generate a solid evidence base for the above described new tools and interventions as they are implemented; assisting the stakeholders in the country to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge and experience. As a Research Coordinator, your work will be diverse. You may conduct surveys, patients- and health provider interviews, perform data analysis, carry out operational research, and provide epidemiological support to complex studies as part of the ASCENT project in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making.
Place in the organization
The Research Officer reports to the ASCENT Project Manager
As Research Officer you will:
- Adapt ASCENT research protocol to country context including coordinating necessary ethical approvals;
- Develop project plan for the implementation of the research protocol;
- Get familiarized with the digital adherence technologies and operational research tools;
- Based on the approved research protocol and guidance from the ASCENT Project Team in the Netherlands, train other research assistants, fieldworkers or data collectors on interview protocols, appropriate consenting, and stigma & gender sensitivity issues;
- Organize and support data collection;
- Coordinate the work of the ASCENT Research Fellows
- Validate data received from studies;
- Conduct statistical analyses; and collaborate with ASCENT research team;
- Participate in scheduled results dissemination activities;
- Contribute to reports and scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted;
- Other related necessary duties per the Supervisor’s request
Who are we looking for?
- Masters’ or corresponding degree in epidemiology, health economics, statistics, medicine, pharmacy, or in international health;
- At least 3 years’ experience primarily in the field of health research in an international organization preferably on TB/TB-HIV,
- Knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis in the field of public health;
- Knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques;
- Skills in applying statistical software for data validation and data analysis;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
What do we offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own HR Manual.
Application and information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references before 20 December 2019.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.