KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Senior Consultant specialized in the programmatic management of drug-resistant TB (full time)
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully
controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, regional offices in Central Asia and East Africa and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
KNCV TB foundation assists the development and implementation of comprehensive, evidence based and country specific package of interventions on:
- Introduction of the new TB drugs and short MDR TB treatment regimen
- Prevention of transmission of TB;
- Early diagnosis and effective treatment of all forms of TB disease;
- Overcoming barriers to care for special patients’ groups.
The country specific packages are jointly developed with the respective national TB programs, based on epidemiological data, a thorough gap and resource analysis, and in close consultation with stakeholders. Emphasis is placed on rational priority setting, sustainability, and the buy in from relevant stakeholders.
The specific purpose of this position is to assist to NTP and local partners to proper implementation of the new TB drugs and further develop their programmatic management of drug resistant TB (PMDT) as an integral part of good quality TB control.
The consultant will engage in the rapidly evolving spectrum of global developments in the field of PMDT and contribute to the Access Care team’s effort to continuously develop the KCNV approach to drug resistant TB, in line with technological developments, through internal and external exchange.
The senior consultant for PMDT:
• Provides country level technical assistance and stimulates innovation in PMDT;
• Conducts or coordinates projects in his/her specific technical area, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders;
• Leading in clinical management of DR TB patients, TA and mentoring of local partners NTP (TB specialist) on PMDT
• Advising the KCNV country director on country-specific needs and content, and quality aspects of technical areas;
• Advises local partners on PMDT related issues;
• Contributes to the development and formulation of KCNV approaches and positions regarding PMDT in the framework of comprehensive TB control;
• Advises KNCV staff on developments and innovations in PMDT;
• Encourages and supports in-country operational research;
• Actively maintains personal in-depth knowledge of PMDT;
• Contributes to the KNCV knowledge management processes;
• Identifies and contributes to the development of new funding opportunities for KCNV-led projects, countries and local partners;
• Contributes to proposal writing;
• Maintains relations with partners and institutions.
The Senior Consultant PMDT reports to the Country Director. The Senior Consultant PMDT lead the team with aims to improve access to quality prevention, early diagnosis and patient centered care for patients with all forms of TB in the framework of a comprehensive public health approach, to achieve better individual outcomes and public health impact.
The job requires frequent travel (30%-50% of the time).
Who are we looking for?
• Medical Doctor with a masters’ degree in public health, epidemiology or other relevant additional education.
• In depth knowledge and at least 4 years of post-qualification experience in the programmatic management of drug resistant TB;
• Demonstrated ability to review, analyze and advise all aspects of PMDT at national and international level;
• Hands-on experience in the clinical management of drug resistant TB is an advantage;
• Up to date knowledge of WHO policies on all aspects of the management of drug resistant TB, especially in relation to vulnerable groups;
• Up to date knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in PMDT, including epidemiology, international policy, evidence development and (MDR) TB control strategies, especially regarding shorter MDR regimens, new drugs and new diagnostics;
• Is familiar with the global support mechanisms for PMDT (GDI, rGLCs, GDF, GFATM, GLI);
• Experience in developing and managing projects in coordination with Ministries of Health and international partners;
• Experience in the use of surveillance data for strategy and policy development;
• Knowledge of electronic tools for (second line) TB drug management;
• Experience in writing publications;
• Experience in teaching/training and capacity building;
• Experience in working in resource poor settings and/or Eastern Europe, Central Asia;
• Knowledge of relevant software applications;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and one other relevant language. Russian is an advantage
Behavioral competencies and skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
• Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
• Ability to work in an international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
• A 40 hours a week fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
• An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
• A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
• A salary commensurate with education and relevant working experience;
• KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 9 September 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
KNCV TB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled.