KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of CTB project (to be significantly expanded in 2016). As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The project focusses specifically on four major areas: 1) technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP); 2) TA to two Regions; 3) TA to three urban areas, and 4) tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project will be expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. It is expected that at the main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff will provide both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA.
Purpose of the position
In collaboration with senior DSM advisor of CTB/MSH, the position holder works towards promoting activities related to DSM activities in general and anti-TB drugs supply management in particular, including promoting rational use. The senior DSM advisor provides technical assistance to FMoH, PFSA, RHBs and other partners which includes overall strategic planning, coordination, and technical direction of drug management activities for the project to ensure drug supply and logistics management systems. The position holder addresses identified root causes of systems failures and ensures progress is being achieved towards ensuring quality drug management services and overall project goals.
Position in the organization
The DSM advisor reports to the Technical Director and is a member of the Technical Team at Central Office.
The Senior DSM Advisor will (in collaboration with Senior DSM advisor of CTB/MSH):
- Design, and implement DSM related activities including trainings, workshops, manuals, drug management tools and other related documents and activities;
- Train and mentor pharmacists and other relevant health workers on quantification and ordering of anti-TB drugs and TB Laboratory supply management;
- Support the implementation of TB Patient Kits in selected districts as requested;
- Coordinate with regional, zonal, and district level partners on drug supply management.
- Assist RHBs in the implementation of planned need assessments regarding forecasting and capacity building;
- Provide support for supply chain planning and implementation;
- Conduct and support relevant DSM assessments;
- Support the design and implementation of TB drugs LMIS tools, operational guidelines, manuals and procedures;
- Deliver trainings, as required, including on the job training (OTJ), training of trainers (TOT) and pilots;
- Coordinate with regional, zonal, and district stakeholders and other partners on anti-TB drugs (first and second lines) and laboratory supplies management activities;
- Provide support to regional, zonal, and district partners in trouble-shooting for anti-TB drugs and laboratory supply management, including SOP’s;
- Collect and analyze data of CTB, DSM support areas and work with the project coordinator to contribute to the written quarterly and annual progress reports in line with the agreed indicators that have to be reported to USAID;
- Support PFSA’s collaboration with other international partners on an ongoing basis; this with regard to anti-TB drugs quantification, procurement planning, distribution and associated issues;
- Level of Effort: 40% for Urban and Gambella regions and 60% for national level.
The job requires frequent local travel.
Who are we looking for?
- Professional Degree in Pharmacy or related discipline.
- At least 8 years’ of work experience in pharmaceutical/public health management with relevant experience in pharmaceutical management and training;
- In depth knowledge and comprehensive understanding of Ethiopia’s public health and pharmaceutical sector;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work flexibly in a team-oriented, culturally diverse environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment and communication skills;
- Demonstrated computer skills; knowledge of appropriate methods for data analysis and reporting;
- Knowledge and experience working with donors preferably with USAID.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal communication;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and work independently;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team;
- Sound analytical skills.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time( 40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 27th of August 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.