KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Senior Epidemiologist (1.0 FTE)
Duty station: The Hague, The Netherlands
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
The Technical Division (TD) is responsible for delivery of quality consultancy services to projects and partners. The TD provides technical assistance to countries, generates (new) knowledge and evidence, and contributes to local and global policy development in TB control. Experiences and knowledge is shared internally and disseminated externally to partners and in forums. The TD acquires and develops new projects in close collaboration with the unit Resource Mobilization. The TD works closely with the Finance & Operations Division in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating deliverables of the various KNCV projects.
Purpose of the position
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation aims to generate a solid evidence base for existing and new tools and interventions through generating evidence about the TB epidemic, the control response and specific interventions; helping countries to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge. Your work will be diverse. You may conduct intervention studies, surveys, support analysis of surveillance data, carry out operational research, and provide epidemiological support to complex projects in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making.
The Senior Epidemiologist reports on technical matters to the Technical Director, based within the Technical Division.
As senior epidemiologist you will:
- Provide short term technical assistance to support countries with the design and analyses of TB prevalence surveys, TB drug resistance surveys, and implementation research.
- Carry out and support epidemiological TB research;
- Develop and evaluate research proposals and protocols;
- Maintain research contacts with national and international organizations and with various local and external organizations such as universities or medical research institutes;
- Participate in project teams; as technical project lead the Senior Epidemiologist is co-responsible with the grant manager for the quality of project implementation;
- Write grant proposals for operational and epidemiological TB research in collaboration with other KNCV staff and external partners;
- Give formal and on the job training on operational research related to TB control. This may include supervising local MSc and PhD students;
- Advise and support government authorities and institutions abroad in setting up and conducting TB research in a national and international context;
- Formulate recommendations for implementation of evidence-based TB control interventions to national TB control programs and other institutions or organizations;
- Promote the expertise of KNCV colleagues by presenting research results and their relevance for policy making;
- Publish scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted;
- Give presentations at conferences and scientific meetings.
Please note that you are expected to travel frequently (25% of the time).
Who are we looking for?
- MSc or comparable degree in Public Health or alike.
- Holding a doctorate degree (PhD) in epidemiology and/or statistics.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis;
- At least 4 years relevant post-qualification professional experience in research;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience epidemiological research techniques; specifically implementation research;
- Demonstrated skills in applying statistical software for research data analysis;
- Experience with qualitative research, specifically (stigma) scale validation
- Knowledge of and experience in training and capacity building;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience with working in resource-poor countries;
- Familiarity with infectious diseases, specifically tuberculosis;
- Work or travel experience in developing countries.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Have good interpersonal communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently (take initiative);
- Ability to cope with demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (38 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract. Depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies before 30 April 2020 If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167222.