KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms. The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of the CTB project (to be significantly expanded in 2016). As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The project focusses specifically on four major areas: 1) technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP); 2) TA to two Regions; 3) TA to three urban areas, and 4) tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project will be expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. It is expected that at the main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff will provide both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA.
Purpose of the position
The Senior Laboratory Advisor is responsible in supporting the national TB reference laboratories and regional TB reference Laboratories in strengthening culture and DST service with major focus on second line DST to improve the diagnosis and Management of MDR, Pre XDR and XDR-TB patients. The position holder, with NTP and EPHI support to establish centers of excellence for PMDT through ensuring access to Second line DST for introduction and implementation of the new drug regimen, shorter MDR regimen and other new developments to improve the MDR, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB patients treatment outcome. The position holder also advises and supports the implementation of rapid and new diagnostic techniques for diagnosis of DS/DR-TB.
The Senior Laboratory Advisor reports to the Technical Director and is a member of the Technical Team at Central Office.
As senior laboratory advisor you will:
- Provide support to the NTP, National Tuberculosis reference laboratory/ Ethiopian Public Health Institute (NRL/EPHI) and CTB Ethiopia in the establishment and strengthening of culture and DST capacity with main focus on SLD DST;
- Provide support to NTP, EPHI and CTB Ethiopia related to building national and regional capacity in management of culture and second line DST laboratory services;
- Provide support to NTP, EPHI and CTB Ethiopia in establishing Center of excellence for PMDT through ensuring access to timely quality TB lab services with focus on second line DST services;
- Advise and assist in the development of an effective patient-based laboratory notification system of M/XDR-TB, allowing NTRL/NTP to immediately track any diagnosed X/MDR-TB case for proper case management;
- Advise and support development and adherence to SOPs for culture and DST;
- Maintain close communication with NTP, EPHI and other technical partner;
- Provide technical advice to the EPHI/NTRL on all matters pertaining to culture and DST service and surveillance of DR-TB;
- Provide technical advice and expertise on the implementation of the new TB laboratory diagnostic tools;
- Continuously support transfer of skills and knowledge on TB bacteriology and laboratory technologists and any other laboratory staff as relevant.
Who are we looking for?
- Master degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent (but a PhD will be a plus)
- Minimum of 6 years work experience in a medical diagnostic laboratory specifically in TB diagnostic and culture and DST laboratory;
- Knowledge in using liquid and solid medium for TB culture and DST;
- Knowledge in mycobacterial identification using different techniques;
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of the public health and clinical functions of a National TB Reference Lab;
- Knowledge in Laboratory Quality Assurance, and strong experience of instituting good lab practice;
- Experience with automated equipment in particular: MGIT960; GeneXpert;
- Experience with laboratory information systems is an important advantage;
- Operational research experience is an advantage;
- Supervisory, training, management and monitoring skills of other lab staff;
- Extensive experience in the general management of a laboratory;
- Previous experience with USAID project is an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good interpersonal communication;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team;
- Demonstrated intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office applications
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
Application and Information You can apply for this position via the form below before 13 March 2016. For more information please contact us via +255 22 2664859 or send an email to email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.