Senior Laboratory Consultant (1.0 FTE)
Duty station: The Hague, The Netherlands
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
The Technical Division (TD) is responsible for delivery of quality consultancy services to projects and partners. The TD provides technical assistance to countries, generates (new) knowledge and evidence, and contributes to local and global policy development in TB control. Experiences and knowledge is shared internally and disseminated externally to partners and in forums. The TD acquires and develops new projects in close collaboration with the unit Resource Mobilization. The TD works closely with the Finance & Operations Division in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating deliverables of the various KNCV projects.
Still 3 million patients per year remain undiagnosed. This is a multifaceted challenge that requires many different actions, but most of all a reliable sensitive point of care test to rule in/out TB. Such test would come with the need to redesign the diagnostic algorithms and laboratory network. It even holds the promise of self-testing. In addition we will need rapid drug-susceptibility testing for the existing new drugs to inform individual patient decisions. The latter may include introduction of whole genome or targeted sequencing in high burden countries. Lastly, we urgently need a simple test for TB infection in high prevalence settings as both IGRA and tuberculin skin testing come with major operational challenges.
The diagnostic network will require improved mechanisms for sample transport, digital connectivity, and laboratory related chain and supply chain management. Evidence generation and dissemination, as well as capacity building will be cross cutting activities under this result area. KNCV provides broad technical assistance to strengthen laboratories and laboratory networks, together with local and international partners.
The Laboratory Consultant is responsible for strengthening of laboratory services and contributes to achieving KNCV targets at global, regional and country level. KNCV’s consultants contribute to laboratory strengthening with expertise that is both technically specialized and holistic-programmatic in approach. KNCV consultants lead and support evidence generation for the introduction of new diagnostics, which is linked to the contribution to the development of international policies and guidelines. KNCV combines support for the introduction and roll out of new diagnostics at country level with optimal implementation of routine laboratory services. Our consultants create linkages between the multiple players and disciplines in the TB diagnostic process.
The KNCV senior laboratory consultant reports to the Technical Director within the KNCV Technical Division.
As a KNCV senior laboratory consultant you will:
- Contribute to development of global strategies, policies, and guidelines in the field of laboratory and diagnostics
- Initiate and support the development and writing of proposals for new projects
- Lead the design, implementation and documentation of (demonstration) studies of new diagnostics
- Support countries in comprehensive laboratory network development planning, defining optimal placement of new and existing technologies including integration of multi disease platforms
- Participate in project teams; as technical project lead the senior laboratory consultant is co-responsible with the grant manager for the quality of project implementation
- Provide technical assistance to countries and partners regarding TB diagnostics and multi disease testing platforms
- Contribute to the writing of scientific publications, technical reports, briefs, guidelines, SOPs and the development of training materials
- Contribute to KNCV internal knowledge management
The job requires frequent travel (at least 25 % of the time).
Who we are looking for?
- A Master’s Degree or higher in Health Sciences or Public Health
- A degree in Microbiology and/ or Molecular Biology
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of international TB diagnostics landscape and support networks
- At least 6-8 years of recent experience in international TB laboratory network strengthening
- At least 10 years of relevant experience working with low or lower-middle income countries
- Experience in proposal writing
- Experience in introducing novel laboratory technologies in existing laboratory systems
- English proficiency (both orally and in writing); fluency in other languages representing high burden TB countries would be an advantage
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Have good interpersonal communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently and take initiative
- Ability to cope with demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team.
- Ability to analyze and provide concise recommendations
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (38 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend.
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via https://www.kncvtbc.org/vacancies/ before 31 March 2020. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167222.