KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Senior M&E Officer for the IMPAACT4TB Project Duty Station: Addis Ababa
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors. KNCV’s main funding source is the USAID funded Challenge TB project, which is also implemented in 22 countries.
Latent tuberculosis (TB) infection (LTBI) is the seed bed for developing TB disease and continued transmission. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimated in 1999 that one third of the world’s population is latently infected with TB. WHO policy to give at least six months of isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) to people living with HIV (PLWHIV) and child contacts has existed since 1993, yet the uptake of IPT in high burden countries remains poor. A short-course regimen of isoniazid and rifapentine weekly for three months (3HP) is now available. 3HP is associated with less toxicity, better adherence and similar efficacy to IPT and may be logistically easier for programs to scale up. WHO has included scaling up TB preventive therapy, particularly short-course regimens, in its End TB strategy. Implementation of 3HP will meet the same fate as IPT unless existing barriers to its supply, adoption, demand and delivery are removed.
The IMPAACT4TB consortium is led by the Aurum Institute with core partners Clinton Health Access Initiative, Johns Hopkins University, KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation and the Global Drug Facility. Our consortium has exceptional experience in shaping markets, strengthening supply chain management and supporting National TB Programs in high burden countries. Our 14 strategically selected countries are all high burden settings with distinct delivery challenges and are representative of the various phases of the TB epidemic where LTBI plays a unique role in sustaining their epidemics. Based on our market intelligence we estimate that 16.8 million PLWHIV (on antiretroviral therapy) and 1.2 million child contacts in our focus countries will be at risk of developing TB between 2017-2019.
The goal of the IMPAACT4TB project is to reduce TB incidence among PLHIV and child contacts<15 living in low and middle income countries by contributing to the sustainable scale up of 3HP preventive therapy. The project will utilize the UNITAID grant to start 400,000 people on 3HP and catalyze an increase in supply, demand for and uptake of 3HP in focus countries with the outcome of starting >1 million child contacts and PLWHIV on 3HP. The strategy (outputs) is to leverage each partners’ complementary skills, networks and in-country presence to address barriers to supply; adoption; demand and delivery of 3HP. KNCV is leading the implementation process in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi and Indonesia.
Purpose of the position
KNCV is looking for a Senior M&E officer who will lead and provide oversight M&E related activities of the IMPAACT4TB project, in close coordination with the KNCV Country Director, IMPAACT4TB Project Manager, regional M&E officers, data collector at sentinel site, the National Tuberculosis Control Program, HIV/AIDS department and the KNCV M&E coordinator at HQ.
Position in the organization
The Senior M&E Officer will report directly to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager, and will also maintain close communication and coordination to the KNCV M&E coordinator at HQ.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead and coordinate of monitoring and evaluation related activities of IMPAACT4TB project
- Configure the general project M&E Guidance Manual to ensure seamless data collection in the country while taking local conditions into account
- Provide technical support to national programs to review and update the existing recording and reporting tools of TPT including 3HP
- Ensure the regional teams timely collect, compile, analyses and report project related activities using standardized reporting formats
- Support the introduction of the REDCap data capturing system
- Training of health care staffs and data clerks on site with regards to the TPT data capture procedures and management
- Support the data extraction of project relevant routine TB surveillance data at the target and sentinel sites;
- Train, supervise, and oversee collection and entry of enhanced M & E data from sentinel sites; and ensure proper capture into the REDCap database;
- Provide adequate support to the preparation of work plans/selection of indicators and annual implementation plans with a view towards meeting the M & E requirements of IMPAACT4TB;
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the data collection and management system and propose solutions
- Support data compilation and preparation of quarterly progress reports, the annual project report, and ad-hoc technical reports as required by KNCV and/or the IMPAACT4TB consortium members, in line with the required formats;
- Perform regular supportive supervision visits to monitor the quality of data collected by the regional M&E officers and to verify the accuracy of reported data;
- Support the compilation of IMPAACT4TB information on lessons learned and success stories;
- Ensure the data queries from the IMPAACT4TB consortium and other stakeholders are addressed in an accurate and timely manner;
- Coordinate activities with and report progress to the IMPAACT4TB Project Manager in country and the M&E Coordinator and M&E Junior Assistant at HQ, on a weekly basis.
- Assist the IMPAACT4TB Project country teams on decision-making on resource allocation based on the priorities and performance of the project
- Provide technical support to the planning, implementation and monitoring of program related OR activities
- Undertake other activities as assigned by the immediate supervisor/IMPAACT4TB project manager and Country Director
Who are we looking for?
- M&E consultant with a masters’ degree in public health, epidemiology or other relevant additional education.
- Experience with patient based data collection
- In depth knowledge and at least 5 years of post-qualification experience in M&E.
- Hands-on experience in TB surveillance or study data collection is an advantage.
- Up to date knowledge of TB diagnosis and care.
- Knowledge of relevant software applications, e.g. Excel, MS Access, REDCap, Epi-info.
- Experience in project/program management, desired.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (ministry, donors, private sector, NGOs and local community-based organizations);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and one other relevant language;
- Country national preferable, conversant in the local language;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a national and international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year with a possibility for extension;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where a pro-active mentality is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
- Full-time employment consists of 40 hours per week.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below . before May 31, 2019. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in Ethiopia: + 251116673801 or mail to email@example.com.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.