KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the first most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context.
We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms. The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of CTB project (to be significantly expanded in 2016). As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The project focusses specifically on four major areas: 1) technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP); 2) TA to two Regions; 3) TA to three urban areas, and 4) tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project will be expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. It is expected that at the main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff will provide both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA.
Purpose of the position
The senior PMDT advisor is a member of the Challenge TB central technical team and is responsible in supporting the national TB program in strengthening the PMDT program at the country level to improve the diagnosis and management of MDR, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB. The senior PMDT advisor will also advise on the introduction and implementation of the new drug regimen ,shorter MDR regimen and other new developments to improve the MDR, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB patients treatment outcome. The position holder also provides support to NTP and CTB Ethiopia in establishing Center(s) of Excellence for PMDT through ensuring access to new second line anti-TB drugs. sh/he assist the NTP in improving the quality of PMDT programs throughout the country and provides support to NTP and CTB Ethiopia in building national and regional capacity in management of DR-TB including pre-XDR/XDR-TB. The senior PMDT advisor report to the Technical Director.
Position in the organization
The senior PMDT advisor reports to the Technical Director and is a member of the Technical Team at Central Office.
As senior PMDT advisor you will:
- Provide technical assistance to decentralize program activities to increase coverage of diagnosis and programmatic management of drug resistant TB (PMDT);
- Help the NTP in its efforts to scale-up the enrollment of MDR TB (and XDR TB) patients in appropriate treatment program;
- Provide technical advise on the introduction and implementation of the new drug regimen, shorter MDR regimen and other new developments to improve the MDR, Pre-XDR/XDR-TB patients treatment outcome;
- Provide support to NTP in establishing Center of Excellence for PMDT through ensuring access new anti TB drug and SLD DST in collaboration with the senior Laboratory advisor;
- Identify PMDT programmatic challenges with NTP and address them through cooperation with local and international partners;
- Assist the NTP in improving the quality of PMDT programs, to meet international standards;
- Provide support to NTP and CTB regional team related to building national and regional capacity in management of DR-TB including pre/XDR-TB;
- Provide leadership to CTB Ethiopia team in term of PMDT program and guides, supports, monitors and mentors CTB Ethiopia regional team in implementation of PMDT activities;
- Coordinate and monitors implementation of all CTB Ethiopia PMDT activities;
- Actively maintain personal in-depth knowledge in PMDT;
- Demonstrate strong technical leadership through active participation in PMDT Technical working group.
The job requires frequent local travel
Who are we looking for?
- MD plus certificate in internal medicine or MPH or equivalent.
- In depth knowledge and at least 3 years of post-qualification experience in the programmatic management of drug resistant TB;
- Hands-on experience in the clinical management of drug resistant TB is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to review, analyze and advise all aspects of PMDT at national and regional level;
- Up to date knowledge of WHO and national policies on all aspects of the management of drug resistant TB;
- Up to date knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues , in PMDT, like epidemiology, international policy, evidence development and (MDR) TB control strategies, especially regarding shorter MDR regimens, new drugs and new diagnostics;
- Experience in developing and managing projects in coordination with Ministries of Health and international partners;
- Experience in teaching/training and capacity building;
- Knowledge and experience working with donors preferable with USAID.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal communication
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team;
- Sound analytical skills.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time( 40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 12 March 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.