Sluitingsdatum: 15 October 2017
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Senior Technical Adviser Epidemiology
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high-burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
In the position of senior technical advisor epidemiology you will provide epidemiological support to complex projects in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making, conduct intervention studies, surveys, support analysis of epidemiological data, and carry out operational research.
As Senior Technical Adviser Epidemiology you will:
- Work with relevant stakeholders including the NTP, donors and project staff to ensure a data driven process is used in programming;
- Be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the activity M&E framework and information system to track delivery against targets, outcomes and impact;
- Lead the analysis of data collected for assessment of progress, areas of improvement, and identification of successful interventions that could/should be replicated or scaled-up;
- Guide reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidate program reports, promote learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learned;
- Support all technical staff in M&E functions and supervise any M&E related staff in the program;
- Carry out and support epidemiological TB research;
- Develop and evaluate project plans for CTB research projects;
- Maintain research contacts with national and international organizations and with various local and external organizations such as universities or medical research institutes;
- Give formal and on the job training on M&E, and operational research related to TB control;
- Advise and support government authorities and local institutions in setting up and conducting M&E activities;
- Formulate recommendations for the implementation of TB control interventions to national TB control programs and other institutions or organizations on the basis of research results and lessons learned;
- Promote the expertise of KNCV colleagues by presenting research results and their relevance for policy making;
- Publish scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted and lessons learned;
- Give presentations at conferences and scientific meetings.
Who are we looking for?
- MSc or corresponding degree in epidemiology, statistics or in public health
- Holding a doctorate degree (PhD) in epidemiology, public health and/or statistics.
- At least seven years of experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluating activities for complex programs in developing countries
- A firm command of the M&E issues with respect to improvements in quality integrated service and support programs
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing M&E systems that track performance as per the objectives of this project (e.g., activity implementation against results and funding)
- Demonstrated analytical skills to measure the outcomes of the project’s activities and support project supervision
- Strong writing and organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program and program outcomes and impacts
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis
- At least 4 years relevant post-qualification professional experience in research
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques; specifically implementation research
- Demonstrated skills in applying statistical software for research data analysis
- Knowledge of and experience in training and capacity building
- Ability to work both as member of a team and independently
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload
- Ability to work in an international team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience with working in resource-challenged countries
- Familiarity with infectious diseases such as HIV AIDS and TB.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract, depending on performance and availability of funding;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via www.kncvtbc.org/NG1704 before 15th October 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-41672222 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.