KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Senior Technical Advisor for TB Infection Control (TB IC)
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, B/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms. The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of CTB project that significantly expanded in 2016. As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program (NTP), the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
The project focusses specifically on four major areas: 1) technical support (TA) to the national level of the National TB Program (NTP); 2) TA to two Regions; 3) TA to three urban areas, and 4) tailored support to key populations. In 2016 the CTB Project expanded to four other regions, with significant collaboration of MSH. The main office in Addis Ababa, a mix of KNCV and MSH senior technical staff provides both national TA and policy support and regional/zonal TA.
Purpose of the Position
The Senior Technical Advisor for TB Infection Control (TB IC) will be the lead person for ensuring adequate implementation of TB IC measures in Challenge TB supported regions and sites. S/he will ensure smooth operation of TB Infection Control activities; liaise with FMOH and Regional Health Bureaus to implement TB Infection Control activities; support the FMOH in developing national guidelines; and assist FMOH in ensuring effective implementation TB IC measures in health facilities.
S/he will represent CHALLENGE TB in national technical working groups. S/he will lead the preparation of training materials for health workers on TB IC and conduct supportive supervision to regional teams. S/he will also participate in preparation of annual plans and will provide inputs to designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation tools for TB IC.
As a Senior Technical Advisor for TB Infection Control (TB IC) you will:
- Work with the FMOH, RHBs, and other partners in developing/adapting guidelines and training materials to guide effective implementation of TB IC measures in CHALLENGE TB supported sites
- Ensure effective implementation of Administrative, Environmental, and Respiratory Protection TB IC measures at CHALLENGE TB supported health facilities
- Lead and provide guidance on conducting TB risk assessment
- Support FMOH and RHBs to develop and institute written TB infection-control plans in health facilities
- Assist the implementation of effective work practices for the management of patients with suspected or confirmed TB disease
- Provide leadership in training and educating health-care workers on TB IC
- Support FMOH and RHBs to develop locally acceptable approaches to test and evaluate health-care workers for TB infection and disease
- Apply evidence-based prevention principles, document the results, and share
- Ensure proper use of posters and signs demonstrating and advising respiratory transmission of TB
- Support FMOH and RHBs to implement natural ventilation mechanisms and introduce mechanical ventilation in selected high TB case load health facilities
- Participates in other technical areas as deemed necessary.
Who are we looking for?
MD plus MPH or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in relevant field of technical advisory position.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English.
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Experience working in projects supported by USAID or other USG projects.
- Willingness to frequently travel to regions and sites.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good interpersonal communication.
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Sound analytical skills
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full time (40 hours) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
Application and information
You can apply for this position via www.kncvtbc.org before 4 February 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com. Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.