KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Senior Technical Advisor in EPIDEMIOLOGY/M&E
Duty station: Abuja, Nigeria
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB, the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
Challenge TB (CTB) aims to generate a solid evidence base for existing and new tools and interventions through generating evidence about the TB epidemic, the control response and specific interventions; helping countries to apply these and facilitate the sharing of knowledge. Your work will be diverse. You may provide epidemiological support to complex projects in order to enhance evidence-based decision-making, conduct intervention studies, surveys, support analysis of surveillance data, and carry out operational research. The Senior M&E/Epidemiologist should monitor the National Action Plan (NAP) milestones and progress and provide training on data collection and assessment, in addition to supervising local M&E staff.
The senior M&E/epidemiologist reports to the Country Director
Duties and responsibilities:
As senior epidemiologist you will:
- Work with relevant stakeholders including the NTP, donors and project staff to ensure a data driven process is used in programming
- Be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the activity monitoring and evaluation framework and information system to track delivery against targets, outcomes and impacts.
- Lead analysis of data collected for assessment of progress, areas of improvement, and successful interventions that could/should be replicated or scaled-up.
- Guide reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidates program reports, promote learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learnt.
- Support all the technical staff in M&E functions and will manage any M&E related staff in the program.
- Carry out and support epidemiological TB research;
- Develop and evaluate project plans for CTB research projects;
- Maintain research contacts with national and international organizations and with various local and external organizations such as universities or medical research institutes;
- Give formal and on the job training on M&E, and operational research related to TB control. Advise and support government authorities and local institutions in setting up and conducting M&E activities;
- Formulate recommendations for implementation of TB control interventions to national TB control programs and other institutions or organizations on the basis of research results and lessons learned;
- Promote the expertise of KNCV colleagues by presenting research results and their relevance for policy making;
- Publish scientific articles on the basis of the research conducted and lessons learned;
- Give presentations at conferences and scientific meetings.
Who are we looking for?
- MSc or corresponding degree in epidemiology, statistics or in public health;
- Holding a doctorate degree (PhD) in epidemiology and/or statistics.
- At least seven years of experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluating activities for complex programs in developing countries;
- A firm command of the M&E issues with respect to improvements in quality integrated service and support programs;
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing M&E systems that track performance as per the objectives of this project (e.g., activity implementation against results and funding);
- Demonstrated analytical skills to measure the outcomes of the project’s activities and support project supervision;
- Strong writing and organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program outcomes and impacts;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with epidemiological and statistical analysis;
- At least four years relevant post-qualification professional experience in research;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative epidemiological research techniques; specifically implementation research;
- Demonstrated skills in applying statistical software for research data analysis;
- Knowledge of and experience in training and capacity building;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in an international team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience with working in resource-poor countries;
- Familiarity with infectious diseases such as HIV AIDS and TB.
What do we offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract. Depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before 8th August 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-41672222 or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.