Short-Term Technical Advisor Consultancy (within the period of 22/2/2016- 5/2/2016)
Duty station: Maputo – Mozambique
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the new USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), Family Health International (FHI 360), Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japanese Anti Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH), The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization.
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the Assignment
To support Challenge TB Mozambique and the National TB Program in strengthening the capacity of PMDT quality management, in particular in four provinces supported by Challenge TB. The following are the detailed objectives of the assignment:
- Participate actively in the national PMDT workshop to be held in the week of 22-26 February in Maputo.
- Support the development of a national PMDT action plan for 2016-2018.
- Support the development of provincial PMDT action plans for the four CTB supported provinces.
- Debrief PowerPoint presentation
- Summary mission report
- Action Plan for four Challenge TB supported provinces
The TA individual operates under the supervision of the Country Director and – if applicable – the Deputy Country Director – and reports directly to the Country Director. All reports on the mission process and deliverables should be shared also with the KNCV Technical Focal point for the area and the Portfolio Manager for final approval.
Timeframe & locations
- Preparation: 2 days preparation and distant support
- On site activities: 14 days in country and travel time (in one visit)
- Reporting: Approved summary mission report for each visit to be submitted 5 days after the visit. Approved detailed mission report to be submitted within four weeks after the end date of the visit.
- Draft action plan to be ready for approval by NTP within four weeks after last visit. This report replaces the need for a detailed mission report.
- Public health specialist with extensive TB programmatic experience in low-income countries
- At least 10 years of professional experience in developing countries
- Proven experience in pediatric TB care and prevention in low- and middle income countries
- Familiarity with TB setting in the country of this assignment
- Fluent in Portuguese speaking, well able in Portuguese reading, Portuguese writing skills desirable
- Self-starter, team player, dynamic, solid, open, flexible, integrity, organizational awareness
- Understanding of cultural differences
- A consultancy contract for 26 days
- One field visit to Mozambique (included in the consultancy days)
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated
- A fee that is competitive for the scope of the assignment
Application and information
Please send your application (curriculum vitae, proof of prior experience and proficiency in the stated assignment) to:
For further information on KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, please see www.kncvtbc.org
Deadline for submission
22 January 2016, The Hague time
 Reports and PowerPoint presentation should be in Challenge TB template which will be shared with the selected candidate.