KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a
Short Term Technical Advisor for the CTB Tanzania Project to:
DEVELOP 2ND EDITION GENEXPERT ROLLOUT PLAN
Terms of Reference
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable TB control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, and since the 1970s, we have shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of Challenge TB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the Assignment
As part of CTB Tanzania Year 3 work plan under the various intervention areas for laboratory strengthening, the consultant will support National Tuberculosis Leprosy Programme and the Central Tuberculosis Reference Laboratory (CTRL) to develop a 2nd Edition GeneXpert rollout plan which will accommodate a GeneXpert clinician user manual and the GxAlert system.
A one week in-country visit preferably September 18th to 22nd 2017 TA plus five days preparation, report writing and backstopping and two traveling days.
- Review relevant documents including the current draft National TB Laboratory Strategic Plan and 1st edition GeneXpert rollout Plan;
- Review GXAlert training materials and GeneXpert Clinician User Manual from international documents and adapt to Tanzania specific packages;
- Incorporate the reviewed material to GeneXpert rollout plan and develop a draft 2nd Edition GeneXpert rollout Plan;
- Support a five-day workshop for reviewing the customized GeneXpert rollout Plan 2nd Edition with implementing partners for inputs and comments;
- Work on comments and submit the final Tanzania GeneXpert rollout Plan 2nd Edition;
- CTB Summary Mission Report and Power Point Presentation.
The consultant or organization operates under the supervision of the Country Director and the Deputy Country Director and reports directly to the Country Director. The consultant will work closely with the Challenge TB Laboratory Technical Officer and CTRL Manager. All reports on the mission process and deliverables should be shared also with KNCV HQ for final approval. Submission of the report is due within two weeks of completing the mission.
- 5 days preparation and backstopping ;
- 1 week (5 days) in country activities;
- 2 travel days.
Central Tuberculosis Reference Laboratory (CTRL), at Muhimbili National Hospital in Dar es Salaam.
Profile of the Consultant (s)
- A Master degree relevant to the assignment or equivalent experience;
- At least five years of experience in a mycobacteriology laboratory;
- At least five years of experience as a consultant working in developing countries
- Experience in developing laboratory guidelines, manuals etc.
- Knowledge of high-burden, resource-constrained countries and organization of national TB programs, based on practical experience in preferably Tanzania;
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English;
- Self-starter, team player, flexibility, integrity, organizational and cultural awareness;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with international and national staff at all levels.
This assignment is to be completed within a total of up to 12 payable consultancy days, which will include preparation, in-country days, and report writing.
Interested candidates should submit CV and proposal for the work to Irene Mauya at email@example.com by 4th September 2017 . Please include “DEVELOP 2ND EDITION GENEXPERT ROLLOUT PLAN” in the subject line.