KNCV Tajikistan is looking for a
Short Term Technical Advisor for the USAID TB Control Program in Tajikistan
Terms of Reference
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors
USAID TB Control Program
KNCV is the sub-contractor of USAID TB Control Program, 5-year regional program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. The USAID TB Control Program seeks to improve the health status of the people in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan by building the capacity of national TB control programs to provide more effective and accessible TB diagnosis and treatment, which will reduce the burden of TB and MDR-TB and the development of drug-resistant tuberculosis. The Program supports national TB prevention, care and treatment programs and contributes to the goals of WHO’s Global Strategy and Targets for Tuberculosis Prevention, Care and Control after 2015 (the End TB Strategy) and the United States Government’s (USG) Global Tuberculosis Strategy. KNCV provides technical assistance to build and strengthen capacity of the National TB Program of Tajikistan in planning and conducting operational researches. Two workshops and relative activities have been conducted during the program implementation in planning, development of the OR protocol, preparations and testing. In September-October the OR was conducted and data collected.
Purpose of the Assignment
The purpose of the assignment is to provide technical assistance for the National Tuberculosis Program (NTP) staff on the finalization of operational research (OR) including conducting national workshop on analysis of results of OR on MDR treatment outcomes and based on results providing recommendations for the NTP.
- OR data analysis and report writing workshop materials and presentations developed
- 10 NTP staff trained in 3 day OR data analysis and report writing Workshop
- Summary Mission Report developed and submitted to USAID TB Control Program (within 7 days).
- OR report with analysis and recommendations developed and submitted to USAID TB Control Program
- Abstract on OR in Tajikistan developed and submitted to the program
The TA individual or organization operates under the supervision of the Country Director and reports directly to the Country Director. All reports on the mission process and deliverables should be shared also with KNCV HQ for final approval. Submission of the report is due within 2 weeks after completion of the mission.
12 days (7 in country) activities in December 2016 (to be confirmed)
KNCV branch office in Dushanbe, Tajikistan
- A Master’s degree relevant to the assignment
- Knowledge of current WHO policy recommendations on TB control
- At least five years of experience in TB researches;
- Any experience in mapping exercise will be an added advantage;
- Documented experience in writing of technical reports, scientific publications and/or funding proposals.
- Knowledge of high-burden, resource-constrained countries and organization of national TB programs based on practical experience preferably in Central Asian countries
- Experience in design and conducting operational researches
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English and/or in Russian
- Self-starter, team player, dynamic, solid, open, flexible, integrity, organizational awareness
- Understanding of cultural differences
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to cooperate and negotiate with technical and funding agencies, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with international and national staff at all levels are key attributes.
- A consultancy contract for the period of the assignment
- An international environment where initiative is appreciated
- A fee that is competitive for the scope of the assignment
Application and information
Your application (curriculum vitae, proof of prior experience and proficiency in the stated assignment, fee indication) should be sent before 23 November 2016 to:
Katja Lumelova, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, under subject “Tajikistan STTA OR WS TB Control Program”. For further information on KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, please see www.kncvtbc.org.