Position in the organization
The TB officer will report to the Urban Regional TB Advisor and closely works with other regional TB advisors.
Purpose of Position
In close collaboration with the Urban Regional Technical coordinator, Urban Regional TB Advisor, Regional Lab Advisor, the Addis Ababa TB officer will be responsible for providing targeted technical assistance to all clinical TB, DR-TB and TB/HIV activities for the Addis Ababa RHB and selected sub-cities and health facilities. Work very closely with the Urban TB program and establish relationships with public and private sector representatives in Addis Ababa in selected sub-cities. S/he works with Addis Ababa City Administration Regional Health Bureau, Regional Laboratory, other partners working in TB and HIV, as well as with the health departments in the selected sub-cities and health facilities to coordinate and monitor all Challenge TB activities. S/he will closely support members of multidisciplinary teams at Regional/Sub-City/Health Facility level to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of interventions and with the CTB M&E officer and M&E officers in RHB/Sub-city to ensure progress is being achieved towards the objective of Challenge TB.
Duties and responsibilities
The TB officer will ensure the quality of TB, DR-TB and TB/ HIV services in health facilities in selected sub-cities in Addis Ababa. This includes, but is not limited to the following components:
- Work in harmony and closely with Challenge TB Urban Team, RHB, RRL and Health facilities to meet the overall project targets in Addis Ababa
- Support development/implementation of TB, TB/HIV, MDR-TB and also community TB care ( CTBC) packages in selected sub-cities in Addis Ababa; identifying and devising approaches taking peculiarity and opportunities
- Work closely with urban HEP and identify community structures and build their capacity to use them for effective CTBC implementation from planning-referral
- Conduct and strengthen regional/sub-city/woreda/Health Facility coordination, mentoring and supportive supervision
- Create/ Strengthen referral linkages between different steps in the care seeking pathway to insure that quality of care is provided from the community level up to the health facility level
- Provide programmatic support and SS to Sub-cities/Woredas/Health Facilities and TICs/TFCs to insure the continuum of care is in place for MDR- TB patients
- Strengthen TB/HIV collaborative activities
- Implement and monitor targeted screening for active TB as part the Challenge TB strategy
- Support RHB/Sub-cities/Woredas to strengthen TB and TB/HIV program implementation and regular monitoring using QUAL-TB tool; building capacity and availing necessary tools
- Support monitoring of TBIC activities in the sub-cities/woredas/health facilities toward integration into the quality assessment tool (QUAL-TB)/other initiatives
- Reinforce compliance with the comprehensive package of recommended TBIC practices in health facilities in selected sub-cities
- Support RHB/Sub-cities/Woredas/health facilities in the implementation of the accelerated plan for IPT for PLHIV and also enhance IPT uptake among eligible children.
- Pay special attention and support for the rollout, implantation and monitoring of childhood TB in selected sub-cities/selected health facilities
- Work in harmony with other partners working on TB and TB/HIV in Addis Ababa/Sub-cities to meet the project targets
- Work in very close collaboration with other USAID funded projects and other partners to harmonize activities
- Participate during the annual work plan development and budget for the two urban regions
- Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Who are we looking for?
- BSc/HO and MPH/MSc Or equivalent
- Minimum of five or more years of experience, supporting similar activities with special focus on TB and TB/HIV activities
- Demonstrated experience working on community TB activity, supporting sub-regional/sub-city/woreda TB and TB/HIV implementation and monitoring systems
- Demonstrated experience working with community structures, mainly grass root community structure
- Experience on childhood TB is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English.
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, and attention to detail.
- Previous experience/working with USAID supported project/s preferred.
- Fluency in national working language
- Ability to travel frequently in the selected sub-cities/health facilities is required
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good interpersonal communication.
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Sound analytical skills
What do we offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is competitive depending upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position via the form below before 6 June 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in The Netherlands: +31(0)70-4167228 or email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment