KNCV Tajikistan is looking for a
TB Technical Officer for the Challenge TB Project
Duty station Dushanbe, Tajikistan
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, and since the 1970s, we have shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of CTB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
In Tajikistan, KNCV started the implementation of the CTB project in January 2015. The strategy of CTB in Tajikistan is to improve capacity and quality of care for drug-resistant TB patients with the focus on new tools and innovations. KNCV is the leading partner of the project in Tajikistan. The project is implemented in the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding between KNCV and the Ministry of Health and Social Protection of Population of the Republic of Tajikistan. The project implements new treatment regimens including shorter regimens (9-11 months) and new TB drugs regimen (Bedaquiline and Delamanid) for treatment and care of MDR and XDR TB patients. The main interventions of the CTB are: 1) Creating conditions required for appropriate enrolment of patients on new regimens (shorter regimen and regimens containing new drugs); 2) Introducing active drug safety monitoring and management system; 3) Developing clinical guide and protocols; and 4) Improving TB drugs management through building NTP’s capacity and implementation of Early Warning System by using QuanTB at the central and regional levels.
Your responsibilities are:
The overall responsibility of the TB Technical Officer is to provide technical support in the introduction and implementation of new treatment regimens, their management, and the monitoring of treatment processes. Under the guidance of Country Director the TB Technical Officer will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the preparation of the TB project’s annual plans and budgets in close coordination with NTP, KNCV consultants, other partners and in-country donor office;
- Supporting the development and revision of policy and technical documents related to TB, MDR-TB and XDR-TB, laboratory and drug management interventions;
- Supporting the organization and implementation of operations research on TB, MDR-TB and XDR-TB;
- Coordinating and planning the input of KNCV consultants based on the activity plans;
- Supporting the monitoring and supervision of project performance, including technical support at sites, on-the-job-training and field reports;
- Preparing and submitting regular quarterly and annual progress reports to the Country Director;
- Establishing and maintaining relations and good collaboration network with government and international partners (e.g., NTP, PIU GF, USAID implementers, etc.);
- Organizing and facilitating workshops, thematic working group, round table and coordination meetings with partners;
- Ensuring USAID rules and the branding and marking policy are fulfilled;
- Assisting the Country Director on all other matters related to KNCV projects activities in the country
Your education & experience
- University degree in medicine, public health, or equivalent;
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in the health sector, experience in TB control is an asset;
- Knowledge of basic concepts of a National TB Control Program, including MDR/XDR-TB, TB drug management and laboratory component;
- Knowledge of data management and M&E concepts;
- Experience in planning and implementation of international projects (preferably USAID funded projects);
- Experience in working in multi-component projects and multi-cultural environment;
- Documented experience in writing of technical reports, scientific publications and/or funding proposals;
- Self-starter, team player, dynamic, solid, open, flexible, integrity, organizational awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to cooperate and negotiate with technical and funding agencies, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with international and national staff at all levels are key attributes;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, as well as the ability to work with a variety of partners;
- Ability to work in a team and work effectively without direct supervision;
- Fluent in Russian and Tajik, a good knowledge of English is preferable.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time fixed-term contract for 6 months, with the intention to extend the contract, dependent upon funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is the norm
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- A competitive salary dependent upon education and relevant working experience.
Application and information
You can apply for this position, including a motivation letter in English and/or Russian/Tajik and 3 professional references, via the form below before 17 September 2017. If you have any questions feel free to contact Tatiana Abdurazakova firstname.lastname@example.org or Mavluda Makhmudova email@example.com, tel: +992 7011164