KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a:
Technical Coordinator (fulltime) Duty station: Lilongwe, Malawi
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, and since the 1970s, we have shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner of Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of CTB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
The Technical Coordinator is responsible for planning, designing, overseeing, and following up of all technical areas under the CTB program in Malawi, in close consultation with the CTB Country Director, and consistent with Government of Malawi National TB Strategic Plan and National Malawi Health policies and priorities. They will work with the M&E advisor to showcase results of the technical interventions. They will support the Country Director in implementing a transition plan of key CTB Malawi interventions towards the end of the project. As coordinator for technical services they provide day-to-day supervision to in-country technical KNCV/CTB staff as per organogram. The coordinator works in very close collaboration with other USAID-funded projects and other partners and to harmonize and monitor activities, including those funded through the Global Fund and the World Bank that are planned and implemented within CTB supported areas of intervention.
The technical coordinator reports to the Country Director.
- Leads and supervises the zonal advisors and “Case Finding, Treatment and Care” teams as per the organogram to carry out all activities as per the approved workplan and budget.
- Advises TB control stakeholders at National and zonal level in all areas of TB control (PMDT, TB/HIV, childhood TB, PSM, Laboratory services, M&E, Community engagement etc.)
- Identifies bottlenecks in TB control in CTB supported districts and proposes technically sound, cost-effective, and practical approaches to address them
- Identifies opportunities to improve TB care and prevention at national level and within the regions
- Contributes to the review/updating and/or development of guidelines and tools
- Contributes to the implementation of a transition plan of key CTB Malawi project activities towards the end of the project.
People, project, finance, and quality management:
- Supervises and inspires CTB team members, while creating an environment where sharing, technical debate and innovation are part of the routine
- Takes care of qualitative and quantitative development of the district “Case Finding, Treatment and Care” teams
- Enhances and anchors the in-depth knowledge of TB technical areas
- Oversees the implementation of outlined project activities as per approved work plan
- Plans, coordinates and checks the activities and deadlines of the district “Case Finding, Treatment and Care” teams
- Monitors the project performance according to the M&E plan
- Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reports to the Country Director
- Provides technical support to IMPAACT4TB through the IMPAACT4TB project manager.
- Identifies areas for crosscutting collaboration with National and International partners working in Malawi
- Identifies knowledge gaps in the team and initiates and guides further capacity building of the team
- Actively shares knowledge with the National TB control program
- Ensures that up-to-date knowledge on TB care and prevention areas and new technologies is accessed and shared.
This position will consist of about 30% time spent in the field.
Who are we looking for?
- Medical Doctor plus a master’s degree in public health or equivalent
- Proven track record in project management, with experience in managing projects in complex settings, in international organizations
- Minimum of 7 years relevant work experience in TB control and HIV/TB programs
- Experience with USAID, and/or PEPFAR projects is an advantage
- Demonstrated facilitation skills
- Experience in teaching and capacity building.
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and knowledge of the local culture is an advantage
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships
- The ability to organize and prioritize with eye for detail.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract until 31 August 2019, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before 26th of November 2018. For more information, please contact us via +265 994 869 999 +265 993 915 705 or +265 999 491 208 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we only consider applications that are received through the KNCV website.