Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), a USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of CTB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and MDR-TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
The KNCV office in Addis Ababa is responsible for the overall implementation of the Challenge TB project in Ethiopia. As lead partner, KNCV implements the project together with MSH and WHO and operates in close communication with the National TB program, the USAID Mission and other stakeholders.
Purpose of the position
The Technical Director is responsible for the technical quality of the project. You will coordinate the planning and provide oversight to all technical areas under the CTB project.
You identify technically sound, cost-effective, and practical approaches to enhance TB control that are consistent with Government of Ethiopia policies and priorities. You provide supervision to in-country technical staff in the project and enhance and anchor the in-depth knowledge of specific technical areas and ensure the quality of work of the technical unit. As the Technical Director you provide technical assistance to CTB project and you oversee national and regional developments in TB control and develop and position TB technical standpoints in national forums.
Position in the organization
The Technical Director reports to the Country Director (CD) and is a member of the project management team.
As technical Director you will:
- Oversee all technical activities as per the approved CTB work plan and responsible for the overall quality of the project
- Lead and manage a team of technical experts that advices the NTP at national level as well as the CTB team in the regions and cities
- Identify opportunities and ensure appropriate strategies/policies are in place to improve TB control at national level and within the regions and urban areas
- Contribute to the development of guidelines and tools for regional and urban TB control
- Contribute to routine systematic risk management review in collaborative with the country-management team
- Contribute to knowledge management by identifying key results for performance improvement and communication strategies
- Liaise with the Technical Focal person at KNCV HQ to ensure timely technical assistance as required by the project
- Establish regular communication/collaboration with other stakeholders.
People, project and quality management
- Supervise and inspire team members, while creating an environment where sharing, technical debate and innovation are part of the routine
- Together with the regional directors identify technical capacity issues within CTB and also strengthening in country TB staff and interventions to address these
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of the work plan.
- Identify areas for crosscutting collaboration with national and regional partners
- Enhance and anchor the in-depth knowledge of TB technical areas in the technical unit
- Actively share knowledge with the national and regional TB control program
- Maintain personal in-depth knowledge on TB control areas.
Who are we looking for?
- MD plus Master’s Degree in public health or equivalent
- At least 10 years relevant work experience in TB control.
- Proven track record in people, partners and project management in complex settings, preferable with international organization
- Ability to work in an international team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Experience in capacity building and utilizing participatory learning methodologies
- The ability to organize and prioritize with eye for detail
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize and prioritize workload.
- Experience with USAID would be an advantage
Willingness to be located in Addis Ababa and to travel frequently (30-40%) within Ethiopia.
What do we offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract for a year, with the intention to extend the contract. Depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and Information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, via the form below before December 7, 2017. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in Ethiopia: + 251116673801 or mail to email@example.com
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website.