KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is looking for a fulltime
Technical Officer for the IMPAACT4TB Project
Duty Station: Addis Ababa and Hawassa, Ethiopia
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) is the seed bed for developing TB disease and continued transmission. It is estimated that one quarter of the world’s population is latently infected with TB. WHO policy to give at least six months of isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) to people living with HIV (PLWHIV) and child contacts has existed since 1993, yet the uptake of IPT in high burden countries remains poor. A short-course regimen of isoniazid and rifapentine weekly for three months (3HP) is now available. 3HP is associated with less toxicity, better adherence and similar efficacy to IPT and may be logistically easier for programs to scale up. WHO has included scaling up TB preventive therapy, particularly short-course regimens, in its End TB strategy. Implementation of 3HP will meet the same fate as IPT unless existing barriers to its supply, adoption, demand and delivery are removed.
The IMPAACT4TB consortium is led by the Aurum Institute with core partners Clinton Health Access Initiative, Johns Hopkins University, KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation and the Global Drug Facility. Our consortium has exceptional experience in shaping markets, strengthening supply chain management and supporting National TB Programs in high burden countries.
The goal of the IMPAACT4TB project is to reduce TB incidence among PLHIV and child contacts<15 living in low and middle income countries by contributing to the sustainable scale up of 3HP preventive therapy. The project will utilize the UNITAID grant to start 400,000 people on 3HP and catalyze an increase in supply, demand for and uptake of 3HP in focus countries with the outcome of starting >1 million child contacts and PLWHIV on 3HP. The strategy (outputs) is to leverage each partners’ complementary skills, networks and in-country presence to address barriers to supply; adoption; demand and delivery of 3HP. KNCV is leading the implementation process in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi and Indonesia.
Purpose of the position
KNCV is looking for a technical officer who will lead and provide technical support to the implementation of IMPAACT4TB project activities in the selected regions and project sites. H/She will collaboratively work in coordination and communication with the KNCV central team, senior M&E officer, regional TB and HIV programs and other regional stakeholders.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Liaise and represent IMPAACT4TB Project in the implementation of 3HP in the respective region, and participate in regional technical meetings;
- In consultation with the PM provide the necessary technical support to the regional, zonal and district offices to strengthen the programmatic implementation of LTBI treatment (3HP);
- Provide regular technical support to health facilities to strengthen delivery of quality LTBI treatment with a focus on 3HP through regular supervision and mentoring;
- Provide regular technical support to HIV clinics to strengthen identification of eligible people living with HIV, initiation of TB prevention, and retention in care to complete treatment;
- Provide regular technical support to TB clinics to strengthen identification of eligible child contacts through routine contact investigation, initiation of TB prevention, and retention in care to complete treatment;
- Provide the necessary provider support tools (eg. Job aids, SOPs etc) to health facilities implementing 3HP at the ART and TB clinics;
- Provide support to organize and coordinate workshops and trainings on short course TB preventive therapy in the region;
- In collaboration with EPSA hubs and pharmacy units, ensure the availability of 3HP, monitor the stock status and proper use of the drugs to avoid stock-outs and losses;
- Closely work with the regional teams to regularly monitor the demand and uptake of 3HP for the target groups;
- Coordinate and support regular performance review of 3HP implementation with relevant stakeholders;
- Support the documentation and dissemination of project results including preparation and submission of progress reports, presentations and other relevant financial documents;
- Ensure the availability and proper documentation of 3HP related data in registers and recording tools;
- Maintain smooth partnership and collaboration with government HIV and TB program teams, and other implementing partners to strength programmatic management of LTBI;
- Identify, document and share best practices and challenges in 3HP implementation;
- Provide appropriate support and actively engage in program-based operational researches as appropriate;
- Work with the M&E team to analyze monitoring and evaluation data and track project indicators as the basis for measuring performance and proposing improvements;
- Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Bachelor and/or Master Degree in health or health related field.
- At least 3 years of work experience in an international organization and demonstrated experience in a similar position;
- In depth knowledge of regional HIV and TB program management and support;
- Adequate experience in TB and HIV program mentoring and supervision;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of local language is also an asset;
- knowledge of MS Office applications;
- Ability to efficiently organize work;
- Ability to work independently.
Behavioral competencies and skills
- Good interpersonal skills with experience in networking with partners at all levels (regional health bureaus, EPSA hubs, NGOs and local community based organizations);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and one other relevant language;
- Country national preferable, conversant in the local language;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to cope with a demanding work environment and to organize and prioritize workload;
- Ability to work in a national and international team.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A fixed-term contract for a year with a possibility for extension;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where a pro-active mentality is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme;
- Full-time employment consists of 40 hours per week.
Application and information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references before 20 December 2019. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our HRM Team in Ethiopia: + 251116673801.
Please note that we only consider the applications that are received through the KNCV website. Applicants that are sent to recruit email account are not taken into consideration.