Announcement number: KNCV VTN – 03/2017
Position: Technical Officer for Tuberculosis control
Duration of contract: 12 months with possible extension
Duty station: Hanoi, Vietnam
Opening date: 20 December 2017
Closing date: 10 January 2018
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), still the second most deadly infectious disease in the world.
KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the spread of the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB.
Over the past century we have built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate, and government donors.
In Vietnam, KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation promotes effective, efficient and sustainable tuberculosis control in Vietnam by supporting and building capacity of health system, including national programs and active participation in national and international policy development.
Purpose of the position:
The Technical Officer is supporting the Country Representative (CR) in coordinating and managing the implementation cycle of the KNCV-implemented projects in Vietnam at all levels (KNCV Vietnam office, coalition partners and local implementing partners).
Position in the organization:
The Technical Officer is a member of the technical group in the Country Office and reports to the CR.
The Technical Officer is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Advice KNCV country team and management on technical areas of the KNCV-implemented projects;
- Provide technical assistance to implement the interventions in TB control at the NTP central, provincial, district commune levels;
- Represent KNCV and contribute to NTP/partner technical working groups;
- Participate in developing projects’ annual work plans and budgets, progress reports (quarterly and annually), technical presentations and notes; and translate reports as needed;
– Contribute to development and application of tools for project monitoring & evaluation, provide inputs to program M&E systems;
- Communicate with project implementing partners regarding project planning, implementation, monitoring, and other issues;
- Conduct monitoring activities to local implementing partners to ensure that the activities are timely implemented in accordance with the work plans, the quality of the activity implementation and the project objectives met;
- Prepare draft TOR for consultants when necessary;
- Represent KNCV with government and non-government organizations, donors and relevant agencies when being authorized by CR;
- Provide inputs for the documentation of experiences and lessons-learnt from programme implementation;
- Coordinate collaboration between partners to implement project activities;
- Perform other duties as requested by the CR.
Knowledge and skills
- University level degree in the field of Public Health, Medicine or Health Sciences;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Vietnam’s health system, especially the public health sector;
- Experience with TB or HIV or TB/HIV programs;
- Experience in project monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in working for or with health care facilities or equivalent organizations;
- At least 5 years of experience in progressively more responsible positions in the field of public health and/or development with at least three or more years of this experience with international/local organization or donor.
Specific skills required:
- Team worker with good communication skills in written and spoken Vietnamese and English;
- Ability to multi-task innovate and be creative;
- Strong analytic capacity;
- Networking, negotiation and coordination;
- Being sensitive to cultural differences and understanding the socio-economic, political and ethical issues surrounding TB control;
- Ability to work-proactively;
- Ability to develop and maintain efficient working relationships among staff within the KNCV country office as well as with external partners;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop effective working relationships with international, national, provincial, and local partners;
- Ability to coordinate meetings, trainings and workshops when needed, as well as ability to compile information/data and write routine and project progress reports.
- Tasks are performed independently within a set policy framework of responsibilities and assignments;
- Ability to frequently travel in-country.
Responsibilities, competences and risk factors
Material risk due to the responsibility for project management issues. External factors enhancing workload may lead to stress.
Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with names and contacts of the last three professional references to the E-mail address: email@example.com under subject ‘Technical Officer’.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted for interviews. If you do not hear from us within 4 weeks from the closing date, your application was not successful.
We invite you to learn more about KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation and Challenge TB project by accessing our websites www.kncvtbc.org and www.challengetb.org