Technical Officer/Laboratory (full time)
Duty station: Dushanbe, Tajikistan
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the most deadly infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of expertise for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. We are an organization of passionate TB professionals, including doctors, researchers, training experts, nurses and epidemiologists. We aim to stop the worldwide epidemic of TB and to prevent the further spread of drug-resistant TB. Over the past century we have built a wealth of knowledge and expertise, initially by successfully
controlling TB in the Netherlands. Since the 1970s, we have also shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, regional offices in Central Asia and East Africa and country offices worldwide. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high-burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
Purpose of the position
The main purpose of the Technical Officer Laboratory is to assist in technical and programmatic implementation of the USAID TB Challenge TB project.
The overall responsibility of the Technical Officer will be to provide technical support in strengthening laboratory capacity for diagnosis of M/XDR-TB including introduction of new technologies and interventions. Under direct supervision of the Country Director, the Technical Officer shall:
- Provide technical assistance in rolling out of Xpert MTB/Rif testing in the CTB project pilot areas
- Assist in optimization and updating of laboratory information management system and its implementation
- Assist in introduction of SLD Hain LPA testing (MDRTBsl) including development and implementation of validation protocols
- Support in development and revision of policies and technical documents related to laboratory interventions including standard operating procedures (SOP) and other laboratory tools
- Support in organization and implementation of assessments, collection of data on TB, MDR-TB and XDR-TB and its analysis
- Support in monitoring and supervision of the project performance, including technical support at sites, on-job-training and field reports
- Organize and facilitate laboratory workshops, thematic working group meetings, round tables and coordination meetings with partners
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual progress reports to the Country Director
- Establish and maintain relations and good collaboration network with the government and international partners (NTP, PIU/GF, USAID implementers, etc.)
- Coordinate and plan the input of KNCV consultants based on the activity plans
- Ensures fulfilling of the USAID rules, branding and marking policy
- Assist the Country Director on other matters related to KNCV lab activities in the country
Who are we looking for?
- Master degree in biological or laboratory sciences within a clinical or diagnostic discipline or specialty
- Knowledge of basic concepts of a National TB Control Program
At least five years related work experience in laboratory quality assurance, quality control, audits and capacity building
- At least five years related work experience performing TB diagnostics
- Minimum of three years of professional experiencein the health sector, experience in TB control is an asset
- Experience in planning and implementation of international projects (preferably USAID funded projects)
- Experience in working in multi-component projects and multi-cultural environment
- Ability and attitude to perform quality assurance laboratory audits and assessments against accepted national and international standards and regulations
- Demonstrate creative problem solving skills
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills including experience in training and mentoring staff and others
- Knowledge of data management and M&E concepts
- Strong leadership, coordination, organization and negotiation skills as well as the ability to work with a variety of partners
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team and work effectively without direct supervision
- Excellent knowledge of Tajik and Russian languages, knowledge of English language is an asset.
What does the KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A 40 hours a week fixed-term contract for 10 months, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
You can apply for this position via the form below before 15 November 2016. Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in English and/or Russian/Tajik with names and contacts of the last three professional references. If you have any questions, feel free to contact email@example.com.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled person.