KNCV is looking for a:
Zonal TB Advisor (fulltime)
Duty station: Lilongwe, Malawi
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against tuberculosis (TB), the deadliest infectious disease in the world. KNCV is an international center of excellence for TB control that promotes effective, efficient, innovative and sustainable tuberculosis control strategies in a national and international context. Our multidisciplinary team of passionate professionals covers a broad range of expertise such as programmatic TB control, research, clinical management, social science, education, digital health, and project management.
Over the past century KNCV has made a significant contribution to the successful fight against TB in the Netherlands, and since the 1970s, we have shared our knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. We operate from a central office in The Hague, the Netherlands, a regional office in Central Asia and country offices in Africa and (central) Asia. KNCV raises funds from private, institutional, corporate and government donors.
KNCV is the lead partner in Challenge TB (CTB), the USAID-funded 5-year global program to decrease TB mortality and morbidity in high burdened countries. We lead an international consortium with eight partner organizations: American Thoracic Society (ATS), FHI 360, Interactive Research & Development (IRD), Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Foundation (JATA), and Management Sciences for Health (MSH), PATH, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The overarching strategic objectives of CTB are to improve access to quality patient centered care for TB, TB/HIV, and drug-resistant TB services; to prevent transmission and disease progression; and to strengthen TB platforms.
Purpose of the position
The Zonal TB Advisor leads the Zonal Challenge TB team and acts as the Zonal representative for KNCV/Challenge TB Program. The main responsibility of the Zonal TB Advisor is to provide high level technical support to all aspect of TB control in the Zone, building sustainable technical capacity for TB control at Zonal level to ensure patient centered care and treatment. He/she works in close collaboration with staff of NTP, other USAID funded projects and other involved partners to harmonize activities.
He/she reports to the CTB Malawi Technical Coordinator.
- Works to support the technical capacity of the Ministry of Health’s Zonal TB officers;
- Together with the Zonal TB Officer, assists in the coordination and capacity building of stakeholders within the Zone in all areas of TB control, including patient centered care, MDR-TB, TB/HIV, childhood TB, and DSM;
- Provides mentorship to the district level TB officers;
- Participates in joint TB/HIV and TB specific supportive supervision visits within the zones;
- Facilitates, including the organization and implementation, district review meetings, using this opportunity to mentor Zonal and district level staff;
- Identifies opportunities and bottlenecks with other partners in the zone in ending TB that are solved together with the Zonal TB Officer and other district-level staff;
- Assists in the development and co-facilitates technical TB trainings;
- Contributes to the review/update and development of guidelines and tools, including SOPs for National, Zonal and district TB control.
People, project, finance and quality management (in coordination with the Zonal supervisor):
- Assists the Zonal TB Officers in the supervision and inspires district TB team members, while creating an environment where sharing, technical debate and innovation are part of the routine;
- With the Zonal Officer, carries out an assessment of capacity needs of the districts and other stakeholders, including parameters that would enhance the qualitative and quantitative implementation of the services provided by the Zonal and district TB teams;
- Enhances and anchor the in-depth knowledge of TB technical areas;
- Contributes to the development of the Zonal work plan and implement with the Zonal team the outlined project activities;
- Plans and assists in the coordination and implementation of the M&E of TB activities relevant to the Zonal level;
- Monitors project performance according to the M&E plan;
- Prepares and submit monthly reports to the CTB Technical Coordinator.
- Identifies areas for crosscutting collaboration with Zonal partners, assists in action plan development and participates in regular reviews;
- Identifies knowledge gaps in the team, and also with other implementing partners (such as PEPFAR partners), and initiates and guides further capacity building;
- Actively shares knowledge with Zonal TB control staff;
- Ensures that up to date knowledge on TB control areas and new technologies is accessed and shared;
- This position will be based within the Zonal Office in Lilongwe and will be traveling to the field up to 50% of the time.
Who are we looking for?
Medical Doctor or Clinical Officer plus Master Degree in Public Health or equivalent
- Broad experience in TB control and HIV/TB programs;
- Experience with USAID, and/or PEPFAR projects is an asset;
- Experience in teaching and capacity building
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Demonstrated facilitation skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and knowledge of the local culture is an advantage;
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships;
- The ability to organize and prioritize with eye for detail.
What does KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation offer?
- A full-time (40 hours per week) fixed-term contract until 30 June 2019, with the intention to extend the contract depending on funding and performance;
- An informal work atmosphere in an international environment where initiative is appreciated;
- A highly-motivated team of experienced, self-driven colleagues;
- The salary is dependent upon education and relevant working experience;
- KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation has its own Employment Conditions Scheme.
Application and information
You can apply for this position by submitting your CV, including a motivation letter and 3 professional references, before 6th of July 2018. For more information, please contact us via +265 994 869 999 +265 993 915 705 or +265 999 491 208 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we only consider applications that are received through the KNCV website.