From 2014 to 2019 KNCV ran USAID-funded Challenge TB (CTB) project. The goal of the first year in Ukraine was to improve Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis(MDR-TB) services and outcomes for MDR-TB patients in partner Mykolaivska and Poltavska oblasts through the integration of a patient-centered approach based on the ambulatory healthcare system into oblasts’ routine MDR-TB case management system, resulted in reducing mortality, lowering default rates, improving MDR-TB case detection and diagnosis, and enhancing treatment success.
The CTB-supported countries jointly achieved the following results during the five-year project period:
– 7.3% reduction of the TB incidence rate above the global average of 6.3%
– 85% treatment success rate with more than ten countries above 90%
– 10.2 million people successfully treated
– 275,000 people initiated on treatment for MDR-TB
– Provision of ART for 86% of people infected with both TB and HIV
In 2019, we continued providing technical assistance to the implementation of digital adherence technology (DAT) in Ukraine as well as Tanzania and the Philippines with the Treatment Adherence project, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. This project resulted in TB REACH projects in Tanzania, Philippines and Ukraine.