Challenge TB | Lead Partner: KNCV | Country Director: Ahmed Bedru
USAID funded, Challenge TB project in Ethiopia is the major partner supporting the National TB Program (NTP) at the national and regional level.
The project focuses on three areas of support:
- Comprehensive regional level support and technical assistance
- National level technical assistance
- Support for Urban TB activities
In 2017, CTB contributed to the implementation of the NTP’s national strategic plan with much success. The project has:
- Pressed for the national initiative to improve access to new drugs for eligible drug-resistant TB (DR-TB) patients.
- Established 3 treatment centers; 2 within 2017 alone, to provide the new drug treatment services.
- Facilitated the introduction of bedaquiline through a USAID bedaquiline donation program and procured delamanid and repurposed drugs as part of the support.
- Mapped high risk populations and developed standard operating procedures to improve case finding amongst these populations.
- Supported the development of a national key population strategic framework and operational guide.
In 2017, 109, 803 drug sensitive TB (DS-TB) cases were notified and 694 drug resistant TB (DR-TB) cases were notified, 102% and 81% achievement of targets respectively. The treatment success rates for DS-TB and DR-TB cases improved from 89.4% to 94.2% and 62% to 75% respectively.
CTB in Ethiopia also assisted in the Ethiopian Public Health Institute’s efforts to improve the utilization and service quality of TB diagnostics through, the expansion of LEF microscopes and capacity building, marked improvement in external quality assurance of 2,430 TB diagnostic facilities.
The utilization of GeneXpert was also expanded, where 222,000 presumptive cases were tested and the proportion of DS-TB cases diagnosed by GeneXpert increased from 6% to 18%.
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation in Ethiopia
Bole subcity, Woreda 03 House Number 4-048
Behind tele medhanialem branch
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia