Senior Technical Consultant
Jerod Scholten is a Doctor of Science in Epidemiology and Research, with over 30 years experience working in infectious disease control programs, epidemiological research, monitoring and evaluation, laboratory and diagnostic strengthening, and training health staff in TB infection prevention and care.
Jerod was previously a Technical Officer in Tuberculosis Control with the WHO Regional Office for Europe, where he performed TB surveillance and analysis within the European region and a member of the WHO-EURO Laboratory Strengthening Task Force. Jerod is also a consultant for EuroPASS to end TB, a WHO Europe consultant with a focus on Eastern Europe and Central Africa, and a monitoring and evaluation consultant through the Global Fund.
Within KNCV, Jerod is the focal point for both TB/HIV and the TB prevention innovation pathway for TB infection prevention & control and emergency preparedness and response. Jerod was previously the TB preventive treatment innovation pathway lead and the technical focal point for KNCV’s laboratory team. Jerod supports national TB programs with the development of their national TB strategic plans and policies, design and implementation of surveillance, monitoring and evaluation systems, and epidemiologic assessments. Jerod also provides technical advice on laboratory and diagnostic capacity building, TB preventive treatment and drug-resistant TB programs, and operational research.
Jerod was the lead writer of the USAID funded TB CARE I Practical Handbook for National TB Laboratory Strategic Plan Development and represents KNCV on the WHO global HIV/TB implementation for impact working group.
- Scholten, J. Iterative evaluation of mobile computer-assisted digital chest x-ray screening for TB improves efficiency, yield, and outcomes in Nigeria, PLOS Global Public Health, 2024.
- Scholten, J. 3HP nearly doubled the uptake of TB preventive treatment among PLHIV newly initiated on ART in Ethiopia, Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2022.
- Scholten, J. COVID-19 Diagnosis in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: the big new bully disrupting TB and HIV diagnostic services. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics 2022.
- Scholten, J. What to look for when using SUBsET for subnational TB incidence estimates. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2020 Sep 1;24(9):983-984. doi: 10.5588/ijtld.20.0188.
- Scholten, J. Prevalence of drug-resistant tuberculosis in Zimbabwe: A health facility-based cross-sectional survey. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 87, 2019
read all the KNCV publications